Thread: Remote access in Hotmail malware

Remote access in Hotmail malware

Few months before Comcast sent a letter to me which uttering my CPU was sending spam through port 25 and they had put a block on it. They recommended me to obtain Norton that I did some weeks before. Installed Norton Firewall, Antivirus and confidential. Later then One week Norton was active my hotmail account contact list was accessed when I was not here and emails sent to everybody. A friend called me to ask if my G5 had been hacked into. I without delay changed my hotmail password. I called Norton support the next day and spent more than one hour on the phone with the 3rd Tech I spoke to. He showed me a Spyware or cursor windows.exe file in my test user account as the culprit allegedly. Why did not Norton's services take this Spyware previous to the event? The just service I had not turned on was Deep Insight.

Re: Remote access in Hotmail malware

Being careful I called all 3 credit agencies. I submitted an online argument and they sent me email verification to my hotmail address which had a highlighted Link to notice the results of my argument. I clicked on the link which takes me to a site of theirs to observe the results, That URL started with xxx.ai.equi. It would not let me access stating System Unavailable frequently. So I called them. They directly send me to another URL of theirs that as well said System Unavailable. The man had no shock in his voice and orally told me the results of my argument though I was not on their website.

It sounds like you were vulnerable to individuality theft. A phishing email directed you to a Website which required your Hotmail login credentials. Norton Confidential has an anti-phishing feature which is 95 percent victorious at blocking phishing emails, also Safari's anti-phishing which is 75 percent effective. But not anything is ideal, and a phishing email might have gotten through. On the other hand, which does not clarify who was sending out spam over port 80 on your Mac? It might be that Comcast was wrong, and your Mac was not sending out transfer on port 25. You can all the time utilize the Norton Firewall applications' "Connection Tracking" feature to observe which application is utilizing port 25 outbound on your Mac. The just application which should be doing this is Mail.app while you send an e-mail. If you perceive one more application utilizing port 25, that application is doubtful. If you discover a sending out traffic on port 25, you can place the name and path of the application here and we can endeavor to look into it.

The "spyware/cursor windows.exe" file you talk about will not run on your Mac G5 so I am a slight confused, is that file on your G5, or few other computer? .exe files are Windows executables and cannot run on a G5 based Mac. If you have a Windows based computer in your household, which computer wants to have its own copy of Norton 2010 setup on it, as the Norton on your Mac will not defend your Windows based computers.

I am a Mac user completely. I have just one computer in the house, my Mac, OSX 10.4.11. Safari Firewall enabled and a file sharing is twisted off. Norton Firewall as well enabled. I do not have BootCamp or parallels, just Microsoft Office for Mac 2004 that is very hardly ever opened. The Norton tech which assisted me through Norton remote access scrolled through and showed me a Spyware/cursor windows.exe file in my test user account. I am as well very familiar with what a phishing email seems like. I guess the fraction that bothers me regarding this entire thing is that for 5 years I have not at all had a trouble with my G5. Paradoxically later than one week I download Norton firewall, confidential and Antivirus all this happens. Sure does not appear like a coincidence.