Thread: Do you recommend to disable IPv6

Do you recommend to disable IPv6

One day I am actually reading the book: Mac Security and it suggests disabling IPv6 for protection reason. Can it cause difficulty with Mac OSX or NIS for Mac? Please give some advise, because don’t know what to do. I don’t know anything about this. Is this really necessary to disable IPv6? I also talk with my some friend; even they don’t have any idea about this. Therefore I am here to get some advice. Please suggest me…

Re: Do you recommend to disable IPv6

Good query. It appears to be a lack of IPv6 security supports out there, except you can shape out how to setup the UNIX ip6fw. So what kind of IPv6 support does Symantec have or plan to implement? To the extent that disabling IPv6 goes, you might also do it if you don't wish to utilize it. Or you could have a few funs with it, get connected on IPv6.

Norton Internet Security for Mac completely supports IPv6. All IPv6 transfer is monitored by the firewall, Vulnerability Protection and Application Blocking. DeepSight does not contain any IPv6 addresses in its block catalog, but there is not anything stopping us from doing so. We don't advise turning off IPv6. The small IPv6 traffic which exists is no more or fewer likely to be damaging than IPv4 traffic, and all Norton products can monitor IPv6 traffic and defend IPv6 based threats.

The Norton Firewall Connection Blocking feature in Norton Internet Security 4 for Mac allows you state a solitary IP address or a variety of IP addresses which are permitted or blocked. You can insert IPv6 addresses to a place’s Connection Blocking Trust Zones or Block Zones. If you wish to put in a series of IPv6 addresses which begin with a base address below 256, make certain that the address you type cannot be deduced as an IPv4 address. For instance, to state the series of IPv6 addresses "100:: through 100:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff” utilizing the “Add all IP addresses on a network” alternative, you would type “100::” for the base address and “FFFF::” for the mask. To identify the similar series of IPv6 addresses utilizing the “All IP addresses start with” option, you would enter “100:” for base address. If you enter 100 as a base address, it will be deduced as the IPv4 address range “100.0.0.0 through 100.255.255.255”.

I think that is not quite what I had in mind. It is hard to discover a list of IPv6 bad guys, but there are plenty of catalogs of IPv4 address which one might hope to block. Most of IPv6 addresses can be changed one way or one more into public IPv4 addresses, that if establish to be blocked would after that result in the IPv6 address being blocked, and that is the type of IPv6 support I am looking for. PG2 claims to have this ability, on the other hand, it does not work correctly in my knowledge.

I think that is not quite what I had in mind. It is hard to discover a list of IPv6 bad guys, but there are plenty of catalogs of IPv4 address which one might hope to block. Most of IPv6 addresses can be changed one way or one more into public IPv4 addresses, that if establish to be blocked would after that result in the IPv6 address being blocked, and that is the type of IPv6 support I am looking for. PG2 claims to have this ability, on the other hand, it does not work correctly in my knowledge.