Thread: How to install VNC on Redhat/RPM Linux

How to install VNC on Redhat/RPM Linux

I am having some files on my friend's computer system who stays in my area but due to some reason, I want to share few things between his computer system and my desktop machine. I am running a Redhat Linux operating system on my machine I am looking forward to setup the VNC on this machine as well on my friend's machine so that we can share the whole machine with each other.

Re: How to install VNC on Redhat/RPM Linux

VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is a utility to take control of another computer remotely. Formed part of a Server and Client side, VNC is free. Based on the GPL, you can fully use and freely distribute the software. Cross-platform VNC lets you experience all the combinations between Windows, Mac, Windows CE, Linux and Solaris. Indeed, nothing prevents you run a Linux PC from Windows and vice versa. A viewer is also available in Java, which can launch the application from any environment supporting a virtual machine opening more opportunities. Whether to do remote maintenance or use resources from a remote machine, VNC is a very interesting alternative to PCAnywhere and Laplink which they are paid software.

Get the packages vnc and vnc-server on your installation CD or here and install as follows:
    Code:
      $ Su Password: # rpm-Uvh vnc-3.3.3r2-39.i386.rpm vnc-server-3.3.3r2-39.i386.rpm
    Start the VNC server as a normal user and when prompted enter a password:
    Code:
    $ Vncserver You Will require a password to access your desktops.  Password: Password Verify Password New 'X' desktop michael.local IS: 1 Creating default startup script / home / michael / .vnc / startup Starting applications specific in / home / michael / .vnc / startup log file is / home / michael / .vnc / michael.local: 1.log
    Note that you can change your password at any time with the command:
    Code:
      $ Vncpasswd
    At the next launch vncserver, cd last check the directory. Vnc he created the first time in your home directory, then you only as a message that:
    Code:
     New 'X' IS michael.local desktop: 1 Starting applications specific in / home / michael / .vnc / startup log file is / home / michael / .vnc / michael.local: 1.log

Once you have configured and started the server portion of VNC, it should launch the VNC client to connect to this server using the following command:
    Code:
      $ Vncviewer
    Note: In Debian the command to use is xvncviewer instead of vncviewer. A dialog box appears prompting you to specify the address of the VNC server to which you wish to connect. If you do not know the name of the machine you want to connect, you can use its IP address. It should also indicate the display on which the VNC server is running. A second dialog appears asking you the password set when you first launch vncserver. If everything went well you should have access to the desktop machine that you want to take control. Furthermore, by pressing F8 in the window displaying the desktop of the remote machine, you will have access to certain functions and features of VNC: (sending the signal Ctrl + Alt + Del in Windows for example).

It is quite possible to use VNC over SSH (openssh here) to take as it goes into a machine in a secure way. Go here to see the operation and use of openssh. To connect securely to the machine michael.local for which the VNC server listens on a display, do the following:
    Code:
    $ Ssh-L 5905: michael.local: 5901 michael.local $ vncviewer localhost: 5
    So instead of connecting via the command vncviewer michael.local: 1 on the forward port 5901 on port 5905 in our local machine and it connects to it: vncviewer localhost: 5. You note in passing that VNC uses port 5900 which must be added the display on which the server listens for VNC to connect to it. The display used here is 1 and the connection is thus carried on port 5901.