Thread: I need help to share files between Windows & Mint

I need help to share files between Windows & Mint

Well, now I have a small home network with Windows 7. My Pc uses media server which has a a shared directory for the other two Windows computer on the same network. I also shared a Printer of my friend. I want to put a Linux distro on my PC. Now I want to know that does I could still share the multimedia content of my directory with two Windows PCs. What about the printer sharing. I think after booting on the Linux all things might disappear and nothing would be found. I do not want to loose all the setting even when I boot in Linux. I planned to boot with a live cd to check the same. But will it be worth trying out. So the conclusion is that on a dual boot system does it is possible to view the same files common among them. Or else it is not easy for me to backup the large amount of data on both.

Re: I need help to share files between Windows & Mint

When you have a dual boot, there are some data that you want to share between Windows and Linux. Text documents, photos, music or videos, in short all sorts of files that we want access to both when it is on his favorite operating system. The easiest trick, apart from the USB key is to make a FAT32 partition on which our two systems can write. Linux runs fine on FAT32 file system and NTFS is even starting to be stable with the package ntfs-3g. However user right issue or symbolic link, the FAT or NTFS, it's worth nothing. Windows Vista is very poorly or not at all supported, except for ext2fsd. To be more precise, Winext2fsd, EXT2 IFS ext2fsd are drivers, meaning that once installed, you will have access to ext2 / 3 directly in Windows with a drive letter, etc

You will need to mount a Windows shared folder on a Linux machine, this article is for you. For my part, I use it to facilitate my development by creating a virtual Linux server with the same components as my production server, and I work on files on my Windows computer and mount through a network partition Linux on the server. To mount the Windows share folders, the following packages must be installed. Use the command - apt-get install smbfs. To perform occasionally or regularly change mounts the Windows folder and pass the command - mount-v-t cifs / / 192.168.0.100/a_partager / mountpoint-o user = <>, password = <>. The disadvantage of this system is that your access to your Windows account is accessible by all, in this case it may be interesting to deport authentication in another file and reduce access.

Being new to Linux I spent part of sometime to set up my LAN with Samba, so that the Linux machine is accessible from Linux machines, and vice versa. By following various guides on the Internet, I managed more or less to my purpose. I now have a public folder on the Linux machine, in which all Windows users can read and write. Since Linux, I can also access my shared files on Windows machines. Linux, to access my shared folders from Windows machines, I use Konqueror. It show up me the shared file on the system. There are protocols including FTP, to transfer files using commands through a network consisting of machine types and different operating systems. This type of manipulation is quite tedious

There are two ways by which you can share file between the two operating system. First either mount a common drive for both operating system or use a network. Right now Windows network is the most popular in local area networks which offer a totally transparent way to share files, allowing such copying by dragging and dropping. However, this type of network only allows the basis that sharing files between machines running a Microsoft Windows or OS / 2. So if you have a Linux machine, there is a solution. You can do that by using Samba. In addition, Samba can set access levels very sharp very close to those offered by a Windows NT server. Samba is a robust and economical alternative to using a Windows NT server.

Yes it is better that you try Samba. It is free and it is a a file server for Linux compatible with Microsoft Windows networks. That is to say, it lets you share files and printers on a Linux server with computers on a Microsoft Windows network, and seamlessly Linux switches to a Windows NT server to the eyes of Windows clients. Microsoft Windows clients to become a kind of Linux clients. The communications protocol for the communication between Windows and Linux called SMB. The advantage of TCP / IP is the fact that it has been widely adopted. Before you install Samba, it is obviously necessary to get the RPMs or source, and add TCP / IP and NetBIOS on the clients so that they can access the Samba services.