Thread: How to deal with Syslog lagging

How to deal with Syslog lagging

I need some help to figure out more on the working of Syslog. I am trying to define some security policies which are required by me to collect, monitor and analyze event logs from network devices like routers and switches, the log management solutions.. Does all hits must support Syslog monitoring. In addition, if the environment is also home of Unix and Linux, Syslog monitoring becomes even more essential. What I know about Syslog is that it is a standard for sending messages of a newspaper on a computer network IP (Internet Protocol). This is a client-server applications including logging, which transmits a short text message to a receiver or a Syslog server. These messages can be sent via UDP or TCP.

Re: How to deal with Syslog lagging

Many software programs leave a trace of their activities in the system logs. Some software, such as the Apache web server or Taylor UUCP communications software, manage themselves their logs. Most, however, use the server syslogd , and the kernel uses his brother klogd. It depends on the distribution used. On Red Hat, they are in the default directory /var/log . The configuration file for syslogd is /etc/syslog.conf . The default configuration is satisfactory, but I like to show all the logs on an unused virtual console. To this I added the following line in my syslog.conf : *.* / Dev/tty12. Attention must use tabs, not spaces. After the change, you must restart syslogd and klogd.

Syslog protocol is a protocol very simple and widely used in the Unix world. Its purpose is to carry the network log messages generated by an application to a server hosting a Syslog server. Another aim is also to ensure the concentration function of newspapers, through which a server Syslog Syslog messages reassign it receives to another syslog server. I will recommend you to learn out some poinst to get an idea about syslog. A small inventory of Syslog servers (free and paid) available on the market. Syslog programming APIs are also available.

Syslog protocol defines device, relay and a collector of syslog architecture. A device is a machine or an application that generates syslog messages. A relay is a machine or an application that receives and forwards Syslog messages to another machine. A collector is a machine or an application that receives Syslog messages but that does not transmit. Any device or relay will be seen as a transmitter when it sends a Syslog message and any relay or collector will be seen as a receiver when it receives a Syslog message. The logging system is managed by two programs: klogd and syslogd. Both programs can be launched by the init scripts in daemon mode, either directly by / etc / inittab. Most distributions use the first solution.

klogd is simply to listen to messages from the kernel. Syslogd is running the bulk of the work. At launch, syslogd reads the file / etc / syslog.conf, and deduces what file should be saved every message. Each is composed of three distinct parts: priority, service, and the text that will be recorded in history. It is based on message priority and the service that generated the syslog determine which file to save the message. Examine the file / etc / syslog.conf. Each line contains a rule with two fields. The first is the selector to determine what are the relevant messages. The second field concerns the action to take when a corresponding message sould be processed.

Like the Windows event logs, Syslog is typically used to manage computer systems and security audits. Despite a number of limitations, Syslog is supported by a wide variety of devices and receivers on multiple platforms. Thanks to this, syslog can be used to integrate log data from a large number of different systems to a central repository. Syslog specifications are now standard within a dedicated working group of the IETF. It helps you to Monitor, analyze and send alerts to both the Windows event logs and syslog events, from a single console with the application. You also examine and manage audits in a timely manner with the application. On the same way it is also possible to filter, analyze and report data Syslog stored inside the database using Event Alarm application.