Thread: Norton Virus Definition Folder is of 26 GB

Norton Virus Definition Folder is of 26 GB

I wan cleaning up the hard drive of my friend's windows vista machine on which he was having Norton Internet Security 2010 installed. When I started removing the stuff then I saw that only Norton's Virus Definition folder was of 26 Gb. Quite shocking!!! The folder in the Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virusdefs. Is it normal or I should really get shocked. What you guys think about such huge size of folder?

Re: Norton Virus Definition Folder is of 26 GB

There could be some virus which might have affected the security system of your machine due to which the folder size of the NIS 2010 have got increased as compare to its normal size. I suggest you to uninstall the whole software from your machine but make sure that before removing this software, Your machine have got secured by some other security system. After removing the NIS 2010, Scan your whole hard drive and remove all the viruses out of your machine. And if you like NIS so much then you should install its latest version which is out now.

I have given you the link of webpage from where you can download an AVAST antivirus which is great software to secure any windows based computer system. Actually once you have enabled an Avast's security then there is no need to worry about the viruses as they won't be able to cross its firewall. I suggest you to download it at least when your machine does not have any other software to secure itself. Click on AVAST to download it.

It might happen that by mistake some huge folder has been dragged into the Norton's Virus Definition folder due to which the size of that folder have got bigger. As you are even cleaning your friend's machine, I suggest you to delete the same folder as well as you can install the same program at any time. But make sure that no other related folder have got left after removing it which might interfere with the new one that you install next time.

There must be some virus which might have infected the Norton installed on your windows machine. Actually when any virus enters into your machine then it first of all disabled all the possible security systems on an infected machine so that it do its work silently. But the successful security systems are only those who can capture viruses at the time when they try to enter. Just because of this reason, It has been recommended that you should keep on updating your security solutions.