Thread: Information leakage in Internet security

Information leakage in Internet security

Hello friends, I wanted to know what the information leakage in Internet security is all about? I wanted to know as I am this topic for my internal exams on this topic in which I have to to emphasize I all the important points. I tried to find but I was unavailable to get so. I was not able to comprehend everything. If anyone having any information related to this question then please let me know as soon as possible.

Re: Information leakage in Internet security

Many times, the attackers rely on the information leakage which is due to various reasons and helps them to get the inside information about the victim. In case of the internal attacks, either the information is directly available to the attacker or is passed on from inside. This information may include internal lP addresses, Network topology and structure, login names, passwords, host names etc. Sometimes, protocols also give away some information.

I would like tell you that Finger, which is the protocol, which gives the information about the users connected to the live hosts. Usually many protocols don’t give. Attackers may also use the social engineering skills on the basis of the information given by these protocols, to get further vitally important information.

It is also possible to use the information given on the websites such as phone numbers, user names etc. Obviously the defense against any such kind of information leakage is to use good firewalls and keep them properly configured. I would like to conclude by saying that a good firewall must always be configured.

There have been many times problem when there is information leakage. One should be aware of such incidents. One must configure its firewall and see that no sort of information is leaked. This is very important as hacker is intention that when the user will leak the information and when will he get those information so that he can execute its intentions.