Thread: How to enable bitlocker on VMWare without TPM

How to enable bitlocker on VMWare without TPM

Ever since my notebook contains a TPM I'm staring keen on the opportunity of making use of Bitlocker. From the time when that’s my single machine with a TPM I can’t just perform testing on top of it. There are several things I need to know. Can I reboot a Bitlocker encrypted OS devoid of re-entering the password by the side of boot? So that I will be able to accomplish remote reboots? Is it possible to right to use a Bitlocker encrypted OS as of a WinPE 2.0 boot medium? I require a technique to remotely offer the Pin Code so that I will be able to chilly boot a Bitlocker encrypted OS not including being bodily at hand at the keyboard and exclusive of having to possess a luxurious KVM in excess of IP box? As shortly I can ask how to test or experiment bitlocker on VMWare?

Re: How to enable bitlocker on VMWare without TPM

The only approach to get a hold BitLocker functioning inside a virtual machine is to modify the group policy setting and permit BitLocker to toil exclusive of a TPM chip and utilize a floppy disk as storage space intended for the startup key. Floppy disk is obtainable in a virtual machine throughout the boot procedure of Vista. I was effectively being capable to sprint the BitLocker preparation tool however following the ultimate test of the C volume encryption the system criticized regarding the removable storage was not accessible or existed for the duration of the boot process of Windows OS.

As far as I know only the CheckPoint Full Disk Encryption facilitates within VMWare. It does not entail a TPM. The company does not endorse it intended for invention applies from the time when they consider it may perhaps be easier to hack a virtual drive then material hardware. But the main thing is it is supported in favor of testing.

As far as I know BitLocker is available for Windows 7 now. It was come along with Windows Vista. To allow BitLocker on a computer not including a TPM, you should permit the “Require additional authentication” at settings “Group Policy setting” which is situated in Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>BitLocker Drive Encryption>Operating System Drives. You ought to choose the “Allow BitLocker” devoid of a companionable TPM check box. Once this setting is functional to the local computer, the non-TPM settings emerge inside the BitLocker setup wizard or configuration.