Thread: Assymetric encryption vs Symmetric encryption

Assymetric encryption vs Symmetric encryption

I am an IT student , I have just taken admission in my degree college, Although I have many subjects programming like C language, SQL , C++ and Microprocessors my interest lies in network. I have a subject called as internet security in my third semester , I am interested in networking than these programming stuffs , so I just wanted to know that how this encryption is done and what are the categories of encryption, is it correct that they are of two types namely Assymetric encryption and Symmetric encryption ?

Re: Assymetric encryption vs Symmetric encryption

An encryption algorithm is mathematical process where plaintext is altered to a code so called ciphertext, incomprehensible to anybody who is not aware of the secret key to decode it. Encryption algorithms have their ancestry from Greek history, and until the arrival of computing have encrypted data been the domain of the forces and military . Currently encryption is also utilized for safe online banking and many more information technology stuffs

Encryption algorithms are also known as symmetric when the same secret, password or key is utilized to encode and to decode . common undisclosed algorithms either work on a bit bases (stream codes ) or encrypt lump of bites (block codes ). Encryption algorithms which utilize a dissimilar key for decryption and encryption procedures are known as d asymmetric and have some practical benefits over symmetric encryption which if quick, and can be proved secure .

The disadvantage of symmetric encryption is that anybody who becomes aware of the secret key or password can convert the secret code into simple text . This makes symmetric encryption susceptible to seep out, and spy out secret keys . A well-known instance of symmetric encryption utilized to be DES (Data Encryption Standard) which is no more in discussion because its place is now taken by Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) that utilizes 128, 192, or 256 bit key.

Asymmetric encryption on the bigger side works with dissimilar key for decoding and encoding and is also know by the name public key encryption in which anybody can obtain the public key of the receiver to encode files or data so that only the owner of the personal key of the public-private key duo can unlock the content. In a parallel process can the owner of the personal key sign messages so that anybody can check that the message is being authenticated. But asymmetric encryption has edge over the symmetric key algorithm.