Thread: VLANs on a port

VLANs on a port

I am really looking for some solution for my issue. I am having 2 Netgear switch connected to each other on the first switch (call 1) there is a group of pc (name: CEI) + internet + telephony, the switches are connected to another switch (called the No 2) it creates a network PC group (name: TCS). So I want that No. 1 is access to the net + + such as the CIS and No. 2 is access to such net + + TCS. No. 2 connects the No. 1 share port 19. So I think we have a VLAN (config port) that we need port 19, put an ID = 1, for what is acceptable frame type and ingress filtering I do not know what I know .. . on this VLAN should I say you go on the net & so on. Then I must create another VLAN to say all the other ports have access to either tel + net + CIS? Need help and hoping that you all will provide some useful solutions soon.

Re: VLANs on a port

I want to know that your two networks use a different IP range? Also would like to suggest that before doing all this, you should have proper knowledge about VLAN. Regardless of geographical location on the network, stations can communicate as if she were on the same segment. A VLAN is similar to a broadcast domain (Broadcast Domain). This means that broadcast messages transmitted by a station in a VLAN are received by the stations within the VLAN.

VLANs have been feasible with the advent of switches. Previously, to be broadcast domains, it was necessary to create physical networks, interconnected by routers, the obligation related to the geographic location of stations was binding for the network administrator. VLANs have revolutionized the concept of network segmentation, they can create as many logical networks that is desired on a single physical infrastructure, logical networks which have the same features as physical networks. There are several methods of constructing VLANs:
    • per port (Level 1)
    • address by IEEE (Level 2)
    • by protocol (Level 3)
    • by subnet (Level 3)

VLAN per port, also known as VLAN level 1 (for physics), is obtained by associating each switch port to a particular VLAN. It's a simple solution, which was quickly implemented by the manufacturers. The first vlan does not create a single network across multiple switches. Since a new generation of switches allows to realize, through the exchange of information between switches and marking frames. VLANs per port inflexible, any movement of a station requires a reconfiguration of the ports. In addition, all stations connected to a port via a single hub, belong to the same VLAN. A VLAN protocol, VLAN or Layer 3, is obtained by associating a virtual network type of network protocol. We can thus establish a virtual network for stations communicating with TCP / IP, and another for stations communicating with the IPX ... In this type of VLAN, the switches learn the configuration. By cons, it is slightly less efficient because the switches must analyze information.

A VLAN IEEE address, or VLAN level 2 consists in associating the MAC addresses of stations in each VLAN. The advantage of this type of VLAN is mostly independent of the location. The station can be moved, its physical address does not change, there is no need to reconfigure the VLAN. VLANs configured with the MAC address are well adapted to the use of portable stations. The configuration can be tedious because it requires a lookup table information with all the MAC addresses and it must be shared by all switches. Also known as VLAN Layer 3 VLAN sub network uses IP addresses. A virtual network is associated with each IP subnet. In this case, the switches learn the configuration and it is possible to change a space station without reconfiguring the VLAN. This solution is one of the most interesting, despite a small performance degradation due to switching to the analysis of information.