Thread: Netgear WNDR3700 terminates the idle TCP connection

Netgear WNDR3700 terminates the idle TCP connection

I have got a desktop system , I use Windows xp operating system and have installed intel quad core processor, 4GB of corsair RAM and on an intel motherboard, I have a net gear router to get the internet connectivity I came to know that my SSH sessions that does not have any traffic on the network for an extensive stage of time get terminated by the router. Is there a way to stop this? I didn't see any alternative in the settings for the router . Please share your ideas on this.

Re: Netgear WNDR3700 terminates the idle TCP connection

I was to was facing similar sort of issue so what I did I too posted a query in the same forum and got my issued resolved , I just wanted you to check whether you have have power over on the server? If you have , you can keep the session alive. Since you do not have the control over the server it is terminating the session as it could not see any exchange of packets among themselves.

But some time it also happens that yu do not have any access over the server and in that situation you want to keep the session alive , it was very difficult task before but now it seems very easy task , you can keep the session alive when you can do it using a shell script , if you have set an interval the in the mean while you can send echo characters whenever you feel that the session is going to terminate.

Netgear routers do not render this characteristics in their OpenWRT moded firmwares. You have two thread you can either flash a third party firmware or allow some sort of keep alive methods in the SSH application. I think the reason is that the router from this make only establishes 4096 sessions they must be terminated rather soon if the connection is a speed connection and there are many packets flowing I do not believe it assists as no payload is in fact transmitted. Third party application is at present a joke as it either demolishes wireless speeds or has unbalance kernels, regulatory domain, or other issues