Thread: Is a Virtual platform safe for internet browsing

Is a Virtual platform safe for internet browsing

From past few days i was thinking that whether i can use different types of virtual platforms to browse the internet. I was thinking that by the use of the virtual platforms like Virtual Box, will be more secure and there is no possibility of the attacks. So is it true? Can i use such types of the platform and browse the internet with various browsers like Firefox and chrome which will provide me more security. Am i going proper or i need to change my way of thinking. Please do give your valuable inputs on this topic.

Re: Is a Virtual platform safe for internet browsing

I don't think it will provide you the best security with such virtualization. I have heard many a times of the virus breaking through the virtualization wall and entering the network of the computers. It can be various dangerous. Virtualization does gives you several disadvantages such as low system performance, it will low down the speed of the system, there can also be a possibility of the memory/buffer attacks. Yes it helps in avoiding major attacks but you cannot rely on it totally.

I would support your idea of using the virtual platform to browse the internet. As it has proved to be much more secure than by using the normal browser in the internet. However talking about the break through of the malwares on the network this might be due to the security flaws in the network. So whenever you are working on the virtual machine and you are in a network don't share a lot of drives or the specific files and the folder with the host computer. This will get an easy access to the attacker to attack the local host and enter in the virtual zone which can give rise to various malware attacks. So do ensure this security steps before setting up the virtual environment.

Yes even i agree surfing or browsing on the internet using the virtual is much safer. Though it is not 100% effective but it is close to 100%. So i am currently using the virtual-box and i have no issue's with it. When i run this virtual platform, i don't need to run any type of anti virus or no need to keep the firewall ON. Yes the system slows down a bit but that's OK. We cant compromise on the security. I have heard that even the windows have launched their own set of the virtual application. So thinking of switching to it.

I have a question but don't know how to start a new thred. I am running win xp in virtualbox using host win 7. I installed VGAccess manager and pluged in my verzion broadband USP devise and win xp won't recognize the device. Do I need to set up a network between win 7 and win xp in virual box or what?