Thread: Share files between Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Share files between Windows 7 and Ubuntu

I am having some about 8Gb of data which I want to transfer from Ubuntu laptop to the desktop system which is running Windows 7 operating system. This laptop is not able to burn the DVDs due to which I am thinking about file sharing between both the operating systems. I have set it on my laptop that it doesn't need a password to be entered. But when I am trying to access the same from the windows 7 machine then it asks me for username and password. Can you guys suggest me the proper way to share the files between both of these Operating systems?

Re: Share files between Windows 7 and Ubuntu

In Ubuntu, it is not very difficult to share a folder with Windows.

(1) Right click on the folder to share> "Shared Folder"
    (2) If Samba was already installed on your computer, Ubuntu offers to install it. Tick the box "Install Windows networks support (SMB)" and click "Install Services". (The administrator password you may be asked).
    (3) Leave the installation is done:
    (4) Then select the name by which the folder will be shared and if the writing will be permitted. Remember to select "Windows Sharing (SMB)" under "Share with:
    (5) Add a user (username / password) that has access to shares:
    Code:
    sudo smbpasswd-a user
    (The user must be an existing user on the Ubuntu system. You can choose your username or example create a new user "local-network"). Then choose a password (which may be different from your password Ubuntu)
    Open Windows Explorer and display the address bar. Then, enter two backslashes (\ \) followed by the IP address of Ubuntu machine or its name (for example: \ \ ubuntu or \ \ nestor). Login and password will be required. And voila! We have access to shared folders.

Verify that the pc are in the same workgroup, to check, right click the computer icon, then click on properties. If this is not the case, click edit to the right, windows will ask you to reboot the PC to complete the change. Then in the center trim, check these settings, put exactly the same.

If you have 2 or more networked PCs and one has only two Windows network to share files, here is the solution to access it from Ubuntu Edgy and using the Windows host name. Windows uses a workstation (Workstation) that identifies a machine by name and not by its IP address. Ubuntu does not include is the default system. We'll have to install a package: winbind.
    To start, edit / etc / nsswitch.conf:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/nsswitch.conf
    Then replace the line: hosts: files dns by hosts: files dns wins. This will allow the system to resolve host names based on the Windows system and now we install the package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install winbind
    From there you can normally connect: Shortcuts> Network Servers> Windows Network and you should be able to access your various machines in the tree. To avoid the search machine, you can simply type in the address bar of the browser (I guess it's called the same as Windows ):
    Code:
    smb://nomdhote
    or
    Code:
    smb://ipdelhote
    For example: smb://xoraxpc or smb://192.168.1.2.
    If all that fails, it means you're missing the package Windows Networking:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smbclient
    If you do not always happen, try Pinggera my machine: Using ip address eg: ping .1 .2 192 168. Then using its host name (hostap), eg : ping xoraxpc. If you do not always happen is that your network is poorly configured (wrong IP, dhcp down, ...) or is that your router firewall at the fair (this happened to me, I have reboot the fonera ...).
    If you want to share files from your Ubuntu machine, install Samba:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba
    Then it just happens: System> Shared Folders Or even better now in the tree: Right click on a folder> Shared Folder. Enter the name that will be posted to share folder and select Share with: Windows Sharing (SMB). And here, apart from the stage of host names is optional (you can still access the machine by IP address), the rest happens automatically.