Thread: How to Disable Recursion on the DNS Server

How to Disable Recursion on the DNS Server

I have freshly had an appeal on the way to appear into our Windows 2003 DNS Servers at the same time as they are Open as well as Recursive. The Open I am not concerned regarding at the same time as we host our own site as well as client require on the way to be capable to access this, my worries are regarding the Recursive one.Any mysterious client be able to make use of DNS Server on the way to carry out a look up, as well as I am sensitive that there is a tick box in the DNS console that will disable recursion, however it disables forwarders as a result I cannot do this. Is there any further means within Windows 2003 on the way to disable recursive appear ups with no disabling forwarders? A lot of thanks for any assist in advanced.

Re: How to Disable Recursion on the DNS Server

There are two options: Do not make use of recursion intended for this domain.After that on the Advanced Tab: Disable recursion (as well disables forwarders).If the initial alternative is enabled; question not originate nearby will be sent on the way to your forwarders (presently similar to usual). If they are not establish there; the question will end as well as not go on further.

Thanks for your respond, however for "All further DNS domains" choice, "Do not make use of recursion intended for this domain" cannot be enabled as well as this is apparently allow my DNS server on the way to serve up DNS requirements. Similar to I whispered in my preceding post I cannot choose the "Disable recursion (as well disables forwarders)" for the reason as this will disable forward for me, at the same time as I require my DNS servers at what time we send a appeal on the way to domain "ourparentcompany.com"
    Is there any way on the way to enabled the "Do not make use of recursion for this domain" intended for All further DNS domains" alternative as it will not continue on one occasion preferred.

I think that it depend on the design of the dns server you have setup inside your setting.If you do not desire your server / dns server on the way to carry out recurssion / do not desire your dns server on the way to get in touch with an additional dns server if the local inquiry be unsuccessful after that you be able to securely disable the recursion.There may be possibility where your customers require en route for inquiry a client which engages recursion, so therefore you require recursion set.At the same time as I have given the apparent details, you be able to choose how be supposed to your clients act.

To disable recursion on the DNS server
    By means of the Windows interface
    1. Click Start and then click Control Panel after this double-click Administrative Tools, as well as after that double-click DNS.
    This will open DNS.
    2. Right clcick the applicable DNS from the console tree and after that click Properties.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. In Server options, choose the Disable recursion check box, as well as after that click OK.
    NOTE: on the way to carry out this process, you have to be a member of the Administrators assembly on the local computer, If you disable recursion on top of the DNS server, you will not be capable of make use of forwarders on the similar server.

Using a command line
    1.Open Command Prompt. On the way to open a command prompt, go to Start, then go to all programs now point to Accessories, as well as after that click Command prompt.
    2.Now Type the following code in the opened window: dnscmdServerName/Config/NoRecursion {1|0}
    Notes: on the way to carry out this process, you have to be a member of the Administrators assembly on the local computer, or else you have to be hand over the suitable power. This process need the Dnscmd Windows sustain tool. If you disable recursion on top of the DNS server, you will not be capable of make use of forwarders on the similar server