Thread: Is it safe to delete a virus or infected file

Is it safe to delete a virus or infected file

I am using a desktop PC which is running Windows 7 in it. I just launched a total scan using McAfee virus scan enterprise to get rid of virus infected in my computer. The antivirus program showed several infected files and I deleted those files which seems to not much important. But now a virus has exploited Sun java. I can’t delete its file because it is important for me now. Now I am looking for any other way to secure my computer. What should I do now? Can I tell the McAfee to delete those virus files or should I get for reformatting drive. The system performance has not been decreased due to this infection. I don’t know what to do? I am not sure whether this virus will going to cause much harm or not. Please suggest me for this confusion.

Re: Is it safe to delete a virus or infected file

I think you should now run a secondary scan using a malware scanner such as “malware bytes” or “super antispyware”. Otherwise you can use any good malware or spybot remover program also. Sophos also formulates a liberated rootkit remover that acquired a while to scan. But it is a good program for scanning infected hidden files in the system, whether it may be a system file, application file or data file. Also install a good firewall program for your PC. The PC tools like Firewall Plus or Zone Alarm works better in Windows. It may be possible that the virus may try to utilize some suspicious connections. So run netstat –an command in command prompt to see the status of ports and connection.

I think that the first scan you have performed wasn’t successful at all. Some time the scan took much time for some file or some type of viruses to detect and clean them. If the antivirus is not capable of finding what the infected file is then it will skips the scan and continues with other profiles. The program shows only a single warning at that time. So I urge you to re-scan your computer once again with latest updates. Otherwise you can use different program to get rid of that. If this is not possible format only that particular drive. Final option is-Re-install Windows.

In fact if the antivirus is not capable of cleaning or removing virus from that particular file then try some alternative method. That means you can run scan through the command prompt. It is a easy way to scan any kind of errors either in system or system’s registry. To do this
    • Go to Start >run, Type “cmd” in it and click Ok.
    • When the command line windows appears type sfc/scannow and hit Enter
    • Now restart your computer to Fix them.

I hope that this method will somewhat going to help you.

If there is no issue either in system performance or process then why do you need to remove it unless you are not looking for formatting HDD. The Antivirus will not able to remove all the infected files. It is not 100% safe also. Some viruses will not going to start process until it accepts some command from the developer or creator. Those viruses will require internet connection so that its owner will give the remote access. There are other types of viruses which will run on background without causing any affect on front. Other viruses will only going to run at some particular date or time. If the infected file is payload then you need to care about before connecting to the internet. If it is normal virus other than Trojan or remote connector then you don’t need to worry about much.

If the infected file is not a system file then you can delete that file. It will just going to affect your particular application not the whole OS. You can then re-install that Sun java. Do not delete a file which contains registry and system memory information. It will be going to affect either your system performance or the startup. How the antivirus program does show this file? Does it prompt you delete or discard it? If there is a option to delete that file then why you are worrying so much.

ThumbsUp Re: don't delete it

don't delete u it because your stored file delete by antivirus when delete virus so jsut clean it