Thread: Best Wireless Router Traffic Monitoring Software

Best Wireless Router Traffic Monitoring Software

I have bought a new wireless router for which I am looking forward to have a new monitoring software which can monitor the traffic on my router. I used to set the mac filter to only allow connections from an IP addresses which I have listed but as I have bought a new wireless router, I forgot to do this setting. But then I found that somebody used my wireless network. Can you guys suggest me some best wireless network traffic monitors to use on my mac os x.

Re: Best Wireless Router Traffic Monitoring Software

ProteMac meter is a new Mac OS X tool that network activities of the operating system monitors and records. The software shows exactly what applications which sends or receives from any where address. The speed of each connection record ProteMac meters. After the tool has recorded some data, it can also work up a graphical representation of them -. 2.1 MB download requires Mac OS X 10.4.

All network activities of a Mac can ProteMac List feet, in the form of a graphic display and log. It makes sense as a Tool about the search for connectivity problems, or when testing the network performance. The program is under a security aspect also interesting: it can monitor applications and attempts to connect to a particular program or the List View by Growl. If desired, the program informs also about reaching a certain Transfer volumes - such as surfing via UMTS modem.

Wireshark network analyzer is the world's most popular. This powerful tool provides information on network protocols and applications from data captured on a network. Like many programs, Wireshark uses pcap library to capture network packets.

The strength comes from Wireshark:
    • Ease of installation.
    • Ease of use of its graphical interface.
    • A very large number of features.

Wireshark was known as Ethereal until 2006 when the main developer decided to change its name because of copyright issues with the name Ethereal was recorded by the company he decided to leave in 2006.

With Wireshark , it is possible to capture packets directly on the interfaces of the system used or read capture files saved. Wireshark supports descriptions of specific fields of 1034 protocols to version 1.2.6. See the Help menu → Supported Protocols. Wireshark software allows the analysis of network transmissions on almost all technologies. The limitations of use are rather due to the operating system on which we execute this program. For a state analysis capabilities based on the system, you must visit: Specific Media Network capturing.

When running wireshark as a normal user, you can not access the list of interfaces by launching Operation Capture . On an operating system properly administered, normal users should not have access to interfaces without conditions. There are several ways to give direct access to the list of physical interfaces.
    Superuser mode
    Starting a connection with a normal user account, it is the exclusive owner of the screen (display). It must therefore allow the super user to access the screen by using the xhost command, switch to root user login with the command su then run the application Wireshark.
    Code:
      $ Xhost + local:
     $ Su
     Password:
     # Wireshark &
    User mode with gksu
    The application gksu is a graphical frontend to su. It allows, after entering the password root, to run an application in super user mode. In our case, leads directly to physical interfaces into graphical mode without using manipulation to the console. This procedure is offered by default with all GNU / Linux today.