Thread: RS232 converter over ethernet

RS232 converter over ethernet

I have a control interface relay is controlled via software running on Windows running in 232. My goal would be to order this from the web interface via RS232 to Ethernet. Could you advise me on a specific model that I can buy? I know there are many, but I do not know where to start from. Using this type of converter is it "plug & play" or there are electronics to add? The software running on Windows is waiting to be told a COM port to operate, the fact of adding an Ethernet converter generates there a virtual COM port that will tell the software controlling my setup? I have not fully understood how these converters work and what are the important factors related to this. It will be better if someone can through some light on it.

Re: RS232 converter over ethernet

Perle IOLAN adapters offer a comprehensive range of solutions -Series Ethernet suitable for all your projects, and designed to fit each technical specification to your own equipment, such as an RS232 format suitable control compatibility signals, traffic control and a speed and quality controlled data transfer. Because the format is CAT5 economic and readily available, some users prefer to use Ethernet cabling (right) to connect their serial devices. Perle IOLAN models, equipped with RJ45 connectors plus DB9 and DB25 adapter it is necessary, to make it possible.

Control Flow by IOLAN models, accomplished through the use of software Xon / Xoff Flow Control and, on a material level of control between DTE and DCE using a RTS / CTS. Being a DTE, the IOLAN sends signals DTR and RTS to its RS232 ports. It is a formality where the communication is made directly to modem or DCE emulation to modem. However, when connected to another DTE or uses an RJ45 CAT5 wiring diagram, a crossover cable or converter is necessary. IOLAN Wiring Accessories are available to facilitate these connections. The transmission speed of asynchronous RS232 port is generally a range between 50 and 230 kbps, although some equipment can flow up to 500 kbps. While most Ethernet adapters, RS232 market offer a limited selection of data transmission speeds, the Perle IOLAN supports all standard speeds and also offers the ability to customize the speed of transmission equipment 232 using a speed unique.

It is now possible to connect its mounting on an Ethernet network or the Internet. The small interface module with the proposed works ELZ-50 available from Lextronics. The purpose of the experimental installation is more than functional; the output signals are accessible via solder strips that will make wrapping to connect to an existing circuit before full integration. As stated in the title, the signals are at logic level of 5 volts. Ethernet protocols are fully supported by a module ELZ-50-based chip RTL8019AS. An external power supply of 5 V is required. It will generally be resumed on the assembly to be tested; Watch the polarity during the operation of wrapping! The Ethernet connector using meets specifications required by the manufacturer. Visualization of functional signals carried on 4 LEDs. We note 2 Jumpers: JP1 to JP2 and reset the module to program the firmware (software version). Finally, the communications signals to the standard V24 are arranged on a barrette which scored the pin is accessible from the outside, thereby making the connection by wrapping.

Well as far as I know the circuit has no major difficulty, but special care must be made during the drilling operation, because the pellets are a bit smaller than usual. Prior to welding, check that the Ethernet connector fits into its brands and make sure no residue trail exists throughout the place or takes place the barrette scored: like that will be welded to flat, better to avoid circuit courts. If you can, perform a manual tinning and in any case well clean the circuit with unscented alcohol or acetone. The housing development is not mandatory but helps protect the assembly. Cut out the Ethernet connector, then the other cheek, drilled using a drill 1.2 mm holes to allow passage of terminals barrette. Do the same for the LEDs with a 3 mm drill. Do not hesitate then to cut the terminal that serves no purpose (NC) to produce a foolproof.