Thread: Domain login script unable to work with Windows 7

Domain login script unable to work with Windows 7

Hello friends, I have successfully connected my Windows 7 beta machine to our domain, but when I logging into the domain the login script does not run, or as a minimum the drive mappings, which are the only purpose of the login script, do not get set. The only network drive that gets set is the home folder which is set in the user's profile. I've tried giving it authentication using both specific user credentials and our generic administrator account credentials. Is there an easy repair for this, or am I finally going to have to completely rebuild the system login script?

Re: Domain login script unable to work with Windows 7

Make sure that the drives can be mapped by the user after logon. Are your drives being mapped by NET USE, CSCRIPT, somewhat else? Do the scripts even perform or is it just the drive mappings to an easy way to tell is add a line to the end of a batch script that contains:

echo off
    echo I ran >> %userprofile%\flag.txt
    time /t >> %userprofile%\flag.txt
    date /t >> %userprofile%\flag.txt

we can also allow script extension debug logging if we make use of the GP-based logon scripts and not legacy NT4 logon script processing:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    GPTextDebugLevel = 30002

All seems to work ok for me. By means of group policy we push out WSUS that overrides the Windows Update settings on every computer system, and that works. We also have a strategy that disables Windows Firewall, which also works. We have one more policy that defines Proxy settings for a dissimilar kind of group of users and that worked as well. I built a logon batch file that mapped a network constrain. Through my individual user profile I specified the logon script to execute. The script ran very well, even though you do not see it run as soon as logging in, like you would in previous versions of Windows. But it did map the drive correctly. I did not try to create a group policy for drive mapping.

I do also have a same problem. As soon as log into the domain though the RC, I could not access the \\Domain\SYSVOL share. Because I didn't have the authority to access, the logon scripts would not allow me to run. I could manually run them by linking to a exact domain controller (\\DC01\SYSVOL) but despite of what I tried I could not connect to the generic domain share. It finished up being that my domain user account had the "Use Kerberos DES encryption types for this account" box checked. After un-checking that, I was capable to log in with no troubles. If it is a login script, it's regular for it to merely be in the NETLOGON share, however if it's a GPO you should expect to see it in a {GUID} type folder as each GPO has a specifically shaped GUID for when you make it, when you modify it and when should you remove it - and potentially need to recover it - come Windows 2008 R2.