Thread: I am looking for firewall distribution for router

I am looking for firewall distribution for router

I have comprised and searched the discussion and goggled, additional than have comprised yet to locate something by means of the intention of matches what I am giving the impression of being for. Perhaps somebody here might be familiar by means of of a firewall/router build by means of the intention of be able to do what I am subsequent to the IPCop not be able to deal by means of 1:1 NAT via the GUI pfSense (and, I consider, by conservatory monowall) not be able to do QoS pedestal on MAC addressThe QoS and redirection by MAC I necessitate to maintain a extremely smart child of excavation commencing switching her IP address on the LAN to one by means of the intention of is not covered by QoS (her MAC not be able to be spoofed as the permitted MAC is set at the switch) or the contented filter. I need some information on the firewall distribution for router.

Re: I am looking for firewall distribution for router

For QoS by MAC have encompassed you considered immediately setting a static ARP entry in the firewall to secure the MAC and IP jointly. How regarding setting her account up as a inadequate user by means of the intention of does not permit fooling by means of IP. Justification me at the same time as I go hit myself in the head a small number of times for not thinking of this myself. Then observe if I be able to stature out how to do it in the pfSense apparatus. Despondently, it's deciding to be a pain today for a number of reason, I not be able to have right of entry the GUI commencing from the apparatus I am on at present, additional than I be able to commencing from additional machines with the intention of are moreover VM's or servers. And I have comprised tranquil not got the port forwarding to the LAN by means of the DMZ active running right.

I had given the hardware the OP have comprised a VIA C3VCM6 motherboard by means of a C3 800 MHz CPU 512 Megs RAM 40 gig drive (enormous overkill, I be familiar by means of, additional than it's one I had laying approximately) Dual port Compaq Ethernet card, Intel chipset what is the advantage of a firewall/router distro versus inaugurating a conservative distro. I have comprised a spare, 8-year-old PC: Celeron 566mHz, 192 MB RAM, 10 GB HDD. By means of the intention of I would approximating to utilize as a router. I position to the mailing register of my local Linux Users Group asking whether I be supposed to utilize a firewall/router distro or incredible else. I was told by means of the intention of for fundamental router/firewall functionality (no QOS or additional advanced functions similar to OP is giving the impression of being for) by means of the intention of a conventional distro would work.

The IPTables is a set inbound rules on the wan interface (obstruct the entire, open what you desire).Set outbound rules on the lan interface (the majority people tend to give permission it the entire out) NAT is actually simple, IIRC the damn thing completed the entire the corresponding rules for me and setup "reflection" by immediately creating the port forwarding rules. Where are you receiving wedged. Additional than the general concepts, this thing requirements a small number of docs. Well, Red Hat Enterprise Linux comes by means of attractive reasonable scripts to start by means of, and the open source world is so full of inadequately documented projects by means of the intention of I imagine it's demonstrating a lack of perspective to claim this factor unaccompanied dooms with the intention of project to "sick joke" status.

One of the benefit of utilizing Free Software submission and operating systems is alternative. Plenty to prefer commencing from not satisfied by means of one, switch or pick an additional one. If the switch involves dissimilar flavors of Linux or BSD operating systems (distros), it’s called distro anticipating. When it comes to alternative a firewall and router, you desire to limit how frequently you distro-hop. In fact, superior not to distro-hop at the entire. You desire to pick the most excellent, or additional aptly, the one by means of the entire the characteristic by means of the intention of you necessitate, set it up, and forget regarding it. Or at smallest amount ’til it’s time to maintain informed your firewall rules or modernize the system. And it (the administration interface) is in addition one of the majority intuitive to utilize and navigate. Observe this table for a characteristic summary of this distro and additional in its category.

The Clear OS this is the most recent distribution to be reviewed and scheduled on this site. Aside commencing from a full suite of firewall capability, it be able to in addition be utilized as a file, print, database, and Web and FTP server. Similar to Astaro, it in addition sports a professional giving the impression of being and extremely spontaneous admin interface. A detailed review of Clear OS 5.1. This one is immediately as characteristic rich as Astaro, by means of a extremely straightforward and intuitive graphical management interface. The most important dissimilarity connecting pfSense and Astaro is by means of the intention of it (pfSense) is pedestal on FreeBSD, and utilize openBSD’s pf for packet mangling at the same time as Astaro is pedestal on Linux (kernel 2.6). Similar to Astaro, it in addition has hold up for failover, load balancing, and VLANs, by means of the intention of is, aside commencing from basic firewall and router characteristics.