Thread: Architecture and topology of LAN protocol

Architecture and topology of LAN protocol

I have recently started studying about the networking. I have been taught about the LAN protocols but not in details (since, it is basic). But I am not having any idea about the topologies and other (basic) things of LAN protocol. But in the college they are not going to explain just fir a single student. I am aware of this and hence not expecting from them. I have gained some knowledge about it by googling. But I want to know more about it. I have posted here, because I want some students helping me those who know exactly what should be known about networking in college life. Please provide me details about the architecture and topology of LAN protocol. It would be very grateful if someone help me sooner.

Re: Architecture and topology of LAN protocol

In the OSI model, only differences between LAN, MAN and WAN in the lower three layers, namely the physical layer, medium access control and logical link control. LAN architectures, the first three layers have the following functions:
    • Physical layer
      • Encoding and decoding of signals.
      • Preamble generation and removal.
      • Transmission and reception of bits.
    • Media Access Control (MAC)
      • Assembling data frames with address fields and error detection.
      • Disassembling frames, address recognition and error detection.
      • Access Control LAN transmission medium.
    • Logical Link Control (LLC)
      • Interface with the upper and error control and flow. Each layer takes frames and adds a series of data before passing control to the next layer.

I would like to provide some information about the Bus topologies and tree. In the bus topology, all stations are connected directly through physical interfaces connecting sockets called a linear transmission medium or bus. It allows full-duplex transmission and it flows in all directions along the bus, each station can receive or transmit. There are terminals at each end of the bus for the signals to "bounce" and return to the bus. The tree is similar to the bus but branches are allowed from a point called the root, it does not support loops. The problems associated with these two topologies is that since the data is received by all stations must provide the network of a mechanism for knowing what data are addressed. Furthermore, since all stations can transmit at a time, we must implement a mechanism that prevents data will interfere with others. To solve these problems, the data are split into frames with a control information containing the identifier of the destination station. Each LAN station is uniquely identified. To avoid the second problem (overlapping signals from several stations), there must be a cooperation between all stations, and for that control information is used in the plots.

The network consists of a series of repetitive (simple mechanisms to receive and relay information without storing it) connected to each other in a circular (ring). Each station is connected to a repeater, which is the network passes information to the station and the station to the network. The data circulating in the ring in one direction. The information also breaks off into frames with identifiers of the destination station. When a frame arrives at a repeater, it is logical enough to forward it to your station (if the identifier is the same) or let it go if not the same. When the frame reaches the source workstation is removed from the network. There must be cooperation between stations to avoid overlapping plots of several stations at once. And while talking about the star topology, it is a central node from which the wires go to each station. The stations communicate with each other through the central node. There are two ways of running this node: this node is a repeater number of frames that come (when you get a plot of any station, broadcast to all other ), in which case the network operates like a bus, another way is to relay frames but only repeats the destination (using the identification of each station and the destination database that contains the plot) after they have been stored.

I think that you should also know about the basic concepts of networking. Due to the increasing number of computers, it has been the need for communication between them to exchange data, programs, messages and other forms of information. Computer networks are here to fill this need by providing ways of communication between computers connected to them. With increasing computer systems and the number of potential users, it was the need for a new type of communications networks. At first, wide area networks (WAN, Wide Area Network), also known as major transport networks were a means of connecting remote terminals to computer systems. In connecting these systems, the devices can operate as independent units and are connected by a network covering a large area. The media used for the network can be telephone lines or cables laid specifically for the network. Scale wide area networks is now so large that existing intercontinental network links, which provide satellite communications.

The speeds required for such systems can be quite slow. As the message size is usually large, the time to receive the recognition may be long. Typical operating speeds of these networks are in the range of 10 to 50 Kbps, with response times of the order of a few seconds. It is packet-switched networks using switching nodes and the method of storage and forwarding operation. The number of computer systems has grown due to advances in microelectronics, which has led to the need for a new type of computer network, called local area network (LAN, Local Area Network). Local area networks originated as a way to share peripheral devices in a given organization. As its name implies, a LAN covers a limited geographical area and its design is based on a set of principles different from the wide area networks.

In its most basic level, a network is two computers connected via a cable so they can share data. All networking, no matter how sophisticated, comes from this simple system. While the idea of two computers connected by cable may not seem extraordinary, in retrospect, was a great achievement in communications. Networking arises from the need to share data in a timely manner. Personal computers are good working tools to produce data, spreadsheets, graphics and other types of information but does not allow you to share data quickly you have produced. Without a network, the documents must be printed for others to edit or use. In the best cases, delivery to other files on diskettes for copying to your computer. If others make changes to the document there is no way to mix. This was and still is, called work in an isolated environment. (Stand alone).