Thread: Need firewall / router distro connection

Need firewall / router distro connection

I got a box I desire to setup as the router/firewall from my dsl modem as the firewalls built into it appear to be slow down. So I’d like to halt them totally and have a black box do the work for me and provide as the router for my home network. Now, I've finished something like this before back in the day, using IPCOP and remembered it was very useful. Just wanting to get some suggestions since I’ve been out of the loop on this "market" for some time now 5-6 years and I’m positive there is some fresh "go to" distro for this. Some things I’m seem for as well a essential firewall though is the skill to QoS. I have only a 3Mb dsl connection. Whenever the wife choose to hop on Netflix it really disturb my ping in online gaming (wow, global agenda) and I’ve heard that this QoS is what i "need". To be honest i know almost zero about it. some Google and wiki hunt guide me in circles concerning what it is. But nothing in exacting about how to allow or setup such services. I'm essentially speculated if there is a distro that has this type of functionality in either an simple to use desktop interface or through terminal/browser remotely.
    Last edited by denny walter; 04-12-2010 at 04:34 AM.

Re: Need firewall / router distro connection

QoS essentially looks at the kind of packets going with the router, and choose what should be send first and what should be send at the fastest speed. Live games on the internet don't use much bandwidth, but they require encompassing low ping. QoS would (assume the WAN is maxed totally out) cut a little hole into the Netflix stream, and after that put the small package for the game in. It'd put all the requirements for Netflix into the queue awaiting the game packet gets through, then it'd recommence the Netflix stream. It does this for every packet. This will help you out from this issue.

QoS essentially presently permit things that require low ping to go through previous things that don't. Movies don't require low ping, they require bandwidth. Games don't require bandwidth, they need low ping. QoS modify what really goes to the modem (by placing the whole thing insignificant into the cache) and choose the finest way to get an excellent ping for the game, while keep up bandwidth for the movie. As for the distro, ya got me. Are we concerning about the router or a real computer? If a router, DD-WRT is a enormous firmware distro for Linksys routers. Hope this helps

I built one on two weeks ago, and it’s been consuming the whole thing I've thrown at it and more. The traffic shaping is the complete #1 reason I worried, got tired of giving out latency with five additional machines on this network. currently during bf1, if I require that packet pronto, I obtain it pronto. It was very easy to install, one time I had two network cards which were on the well-matched list (two older Linksys PCIs). booted off a DSL cd, formatted a CF card + ide converter, copied mono wall onto it, plugged the flash into an old 232 MNX, set WAN card, set LAN card, pretty a lot completed. went in, changed my DHCP location a little, run the magic shaping wizard, then my network as no setback .