Thread: RV082 Dual WAN VPN Router losing internet connection

RV082 Dual WAN VPN Router losing internet connection

I have been using Cisco RV082 Dual WAN VPN Router from past 3 months I never has any issue about this router till a week ago. As you know there are 2 Line for internet connection. I use DSL line for first and cable line for second WAN. I mostly use cable connection as backup form when there is unavailability of DSL. But form week the cable connection went off after some time interval. So I swapped the WAN ports but no joy at all. Once the connection went off I need to restart the router to get back the connection. But the issue will remain the same. I don’t know what to do now. We need this backup connection working properly. What can I do resolve this issue. I will be much appreciated if you help me.

Re: RV082 Dual WAN VPN Router losing internet connection

Did you try the up-to-date version of firmware? If not yet then I think there is a beta firmware v1.3.3.4 is available you can try it by downloading and installing. Before installing the new firmware don’t forget to Hard reset the router. Also try to change the WAN ports and manually set MTU to 1500 for cable line and 1492 for the DSL line. Can you get an ip from the ISP after restarting the router?

I think that you haven’t set the firewall wizard properly for internet connection. I think that you need to mention the type of internet connection that you are currently using in firewall configuration window. Also check that whether there is any time out option is enabled for cable connection either in firewall program or in other applications. Use the default configuration of firewall and see whether the issue is continuing or not. Ensure that the phone line is proper and there are no patches throughout the line. If any small disturbance occurred in cable the connection will be automatically terminated. Make the speed test of cable connection using certain applications.

It seems to me that the speed of internet in cable modem is much lower and the router cannot allocate it to all of its clients. Contact the ISP and ensure with them that your line is properly in working condition. Check that the cable line is correctly fixed in WAN port. Can you notice ant hardware issues in router? The disconnection is probable when total least bandwidth allocated by any priority control for all client computers is exceeding the accessible bandwidth of cable line. So set the allocation of total bandwidth of priority control less than the total available bandwidth.

How many computers you are currently connected through RV082 router? Is the internet bandwidth id enough for all those computers? Is the priority control is properly sharing bandwidth available? You need to ensure them first. If your client systems are acquiring more bandwidth than total available then how the router can respond at all? Moreover the router itself is not capable of handling the cable line. Check the troubleshooting guide for any of these instructions.