Thread: Problem of slow throughput with latest Cisco RV082 firmware

Problem of slow throughput with latest Cisco RV082 firmware

I have Cisco RV082 router with me. I have using this router from a long time with 2 Mbps speed internet. Everything was working normally until there was more VPN connection introduced to the network. This is where the problem first appeared to me and I don't know how to solve this. I have tried installing the latest firmware on this router but it didn't solved the problem. The maximum throughput which I get is atmost 40kbps which is even lesser than what I have with my broadband connection at my home. I don't what is the cause of this problem and so came here to rectify it and get the solution?

Re: Problem of slow throughput with latest Cisco RV082 firmware

I think the problem lies with the configuration. May be you have not configured the router in a proper, as it should be, and due to this there is some drop of data packets and thus slow throughput. Check out the settings for throughput, bandwidth control, MTU etc and see if that is properly set. If required make the necessary changes and see if that helps you in anyway. If that doesn't helps then reset the network settings and reconfigure the router once again.

I think the problem lies with your network setup. I mean if your network setup involves too much of cables and a lots of devices then you may experience some packet loss. This is obvious and could not be avoided. If you can decrease the number of devices or shorten the cables or use some speed boosters then that may help you a bit. If that doesn't solves the problem then I would recommend you to use lan cable tester device to ensure if there is any fault in the cable itself. Although the cable sometime looks absolutely perfect there may be some problem lying inside it which you or anyone else cannot identify it visually. Fluke Networks have some excellent lan cable tester which does the job very well.

According to me the problem is with the network interface card. By default the link connection for the NIC is configured Auto Negotiate. So your network is not fully being utilized and thus you notice slow throughput. If you change this setting to 100 Full Duplex, you can notice some drastic improvement in the network speed. To change this setting, go to Network Connection, right click on Local Area Connection and click on Configure button. Click on the Advanced tab and click on Link speed (or something which defines the throughput). Now change the settings to 100 Full Duplex or higher if you are having gigabit lan and save the settings by clicking on OK button. Your network connection with disconnect and reconnect automatically. This is normal and don't worry. Now retest if you notice the same thing.

Thanks for the suggestions but nothing solves the problem. I have already done the factory reset and then reconfiguring the router once again. However, nothing solves the problem. Since I have already checked this setup with the latest firmware, so I don't think that is causing the trouble. I have also change the throughput settings on my NIC but it didn't helped either. I think the problem seems to be incurable and so I have decided to get a new router and configure it and then see what happens.