Thread: Using Linksys wrt54gl router as repeater bridge

Using Linksys wrt54gl router as repeater bridge

This post is related to configuration of WRT54gl as Repeater. My old modem and router is WAG200GI want to widen the range of the WAG200g to have access from all over the rooms in the house. Biut I found it that they are too far away for connection. To get rid of this problem I bought a new Linksys wrt54gl. I bought this because I also wanted to work it as a repeater for the WAG200g which has configured in AP mode. All the wireless devices should establish connection to the old wag200g or the new wrt54gl . I tried different settings but nothing seems to be work. So right now I am looking forward for some solution from you. Do you have any?

Re: Using Linksys wrt54gl router as repeater

Assume that the WRT54gl is router #2 and WAG200g is router #1. Now look further for several settings.
    • Did you configure the gateway, subnet mask and DNS on router #2?
    • Gateway = IP address of router #1.
    • Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0(unless you have a explanation to make use of various subnet mask)
    • DNS = IP address of router #1

or
    • DNS=your ISP DSN server addresses.

I read somewhere that you cannot make router a repeater of another router. They say that it cannot be possible due to some Hardware Limitations. And it is also mentioned that not sure about whether the third party firmwares are proficient of doing that or not. If your router is really capable of doing that then no need to worry about. Just make sure that you have made the right configuration.

Repeater modes in the DD-WRT firmware work properly. To do this you need to set up wrt54GL in client bridge mode and make it to perform correctly, and then do the changes to repeater bridge modeyou need to set up your linksys wrt54GL in client bridge mode and get it working correctly. Only then accomplish the modification to repeater bridge mode. Do not configure the mode directly because it will be problematic in future. Note that there are 2 kinds of modes - repeater bridge mode, and repeater mode. You need to know about it before moving on further process.