Thread: Linksys RV042 becomes mortal very often

Linksys RV042 becomes mortal very often

I have been running Linksys RV042 router in our network from a long time. The problem is that it becomes mortal very often. I do not get the internet. Sometimes the router reboot solves the problem but while other times it doesn't. I have even tried to reset the settings to the defaults and then reconfiguring the router once again but this doesn't helps. I have checked if the problem comes from my ISP but according to him everything is proper on his side. He says may be problem lies on my router or the network but not sure what exactly id the cause of the problem. Is there any way which can tell me what and where the problem occurs? Do you also have the solution to it?

Re: Linksys RV042 becomes mortal very often

I think the problem lies with your power supply. May be the router isn't getting enough current to run the router and thus you are getting the mortality issue. First of all change the power cable of the router with the appropriate cable that can provide the router with enough voltage. Now test your internet for at least half an hour to know about the stability of the connection. If that doesn't solves the problem then I assume the power unit inside the router is having the fault. You can not repair it any how and so the only solution to this left with you is change the router. No one can solve this power unit problem which is inside of the router.

No I don't think the problem lies with the power unit, if that was the problem then his router must not have started also or may be he must not have connection for a single minute too. In general, if the power unit is either dead or dying then your router will not start and you will not get any green led light glowing on the router. If the router light is glowing then may be the problem lies somewhere else. The problem may be due to too much of DDOS attack triggering your network which your router thinks it is appearing frequently and so it closes itself automatically. These kinds of attacks are done by hackers to gain access to your network for their fishy stuffs. But since your router is configured to block these attacks, it sometimes get hangs or shuts itself down to prevent any further attacks for sometime decreasing the possibility of getting the attacks any further. So don't worry and let it shut down for sometime and then try to start the router once again.

I think the problem lies with your router's firmware. Did you recently upgraded to new firmware release or are you still running the old firmware version which was installed when the router was first purchased? If you have recently installed a new firmware than that may cause the problem. Because a corrupted or partially installed firmware cannot guarantee stability. Uninstall it and look for a better firmware, ideally you must download it from Linksys site, and install it on your router. If you haven't installed an firmware anytime and you are still running the older version of it then that too creates such kind of problem. This happens because the firmware should be upgraded as your computer gets upgraded with time. So you can install the firmware, downloaded from Linksys site, and test your internet.

Thanks everyone for your input but I don't think this was so helpful to me. I don't know if the power unit can cause the problem and I would be more grateful if there is any other way to check this out. Talking about the firmware, how can this affect my router. I have not upgraded the firmware and the router is still running the old firmware which came with it when I have purchased it. If you think that the router can cause the problem then why didn't it affected me until now. How can this happen all of a sudden? Is there any other recommendations from anyone else and is the problem curable? I would prefer to stay with this router and just solve the problem instead of going for some new device.

I think there is some virus on your system or network which is why you are having this problem. Why don't you use a good and updated anti-virus and scan your computer? This will ensure you if you have any malicious running on your computer. You may also need to run MalwareBytes which is a well known malware removal software among internet users. If that doesn't help then I suppose the problem lies with your NIC. May be the NIC driver is causing you the trouble. Install the latest NIC driver and see if that helps.