Thread: Speed test shows 25Mbps Without Router and 14Mbps with Router

Speed test shows 25Mbps Without Router and 14Mbps with Router

I own a Cisco WRVS4400N wireless security router using Firmware v1.1.08. I do not use any software for this router. Just working with the help of Windows 7 64bit retail with driver files for many devices. My cable internet provider is Brighthouse. For them I am paying them for 15Mbps speed. I just keep testing it between 14-15Mbps. Now days I recognized that this speed is poor so I have upgraded to 25Mbps but I couldn't obtain test results in surplus of 14Mbps. I verified my account settings and that my modem support, all were proper. Finally I decided to perform some speed tests sidestepping my router. Without router I got 23-25Mbps speed but after connecting router I can't get a speed result greater than 15Mbps. Now what is wrong with my router? How can I boost up the speed? Please help with some suggestion. Otherwise I simply have to pay 25Mbps price for 15Mbps speed.

Re: Speed test shows 25Mbps Without Router and 14Mbps with Router

The problem seems to be that it is not about the issue of router but it is the issue of either wrong configuration or with wrong connection. The speed matters about how you configured the connection between router, cable modem or internet and the computer. Can you verify whether the IPS enabled on WRVS4400N router or not? When you are testing the router speed you have to notice how did you connected to the router? Using Ethernet or Wireless? Also make sure that router configurations are proper.

I think the issue of getting slow speed because you did some wrong connection to router. Can you tell me how did you connect the internet to the router? If you have directly connected the internet to the router using cable make sure that you have connected it to WAN port not the LAN port. The current firmware version you are using is that an up-to-date version? Is the internet connection is hardwired or Wireless? Did you check the security setup in router? Check your router somewhere else using other internet connection.

If the IPS (Intrusion Prevention system) enabled in your router then it will slow down bandwidth. It is network security applications that observe network and/or system actions for malicious commotion. If it is enabled on your system then it has to check each packet of data incoming/outgoing and inspect it for malicious things. You have to update the to the latest IPS signature in order to get better security and fast scan of packets. What is your current IPS signature?

If you think it is only the issue of router causing slow speed then hard reset the router, only configure WAN settings not LAN and connect via Ethernet port. After all this I hope that you will be able to get speed near 25mbps. If you use wireless then it will never be able to get more than 20mbps throughput due to G specifications. It is concluded that the Hardwired connection gains more speed over Wifi connection. Whenever you enable some features that will affect the CPU and will be going put a major load then throughput will consistently go down.