Thread: Slow transfer speed over wifi 802.11N

Slow transfer speed over wifi 802.11N

I have recently purchases the edimax BR-6424n wireless router for my windows XP PC to connect it directly with LAN and a Windows 7 laptop which have inbuilt wifi. My laptop inbuilt wifi adapter can transfer data around 1.5-2.5MBps (35% signal) to my desktop. But it seems to be slow after purchasing a good USB wifi device (with 5dbi antenna) which speeds up to 300MBps (in 802.11n on 40 MHz). After installing the driver of USB adapter I can see in realtek 11n software that the TX and RX are keep on jumping. The actual speed of Tx: 150 Mbps and Rx: 300Mbps, but I can only achieve around 1.5-2.5MBps transfer. The control shows link is 98-100% and signal strength varies around 58-60%. Then why I am getting such a low speed? How can I improve the connection? If you any tips to improve this will be very helpful. Another thing is usb wifi adapter connected to router 802.11n and the laptop wifi adapter connected to router on 802.11g.

Re: Slow transfer speed over wifi 802.11N

I think that the problem you are getting due to using both the Wifi adapter at a same time on same machine. This will probably slow down either the connection or the transfer rate. In order to achieve good connection and speed you need to completely disable one adapter. The use of G device will also cause the speed of N network. If the G device is connected to a N network then any request from G will lowers the efficiency of N. As you know the Wireless is shared, so you need to transfer files over G, once the G is connection to N network it will keep talking to router and the same router is responding back to G. At that time there is no complete connection over N, so it will become poor. In order to check the real speed of your network you need to disconnect G device from N network. Otherwise you must use a Wired network.

I need several stats from your network before actually processing over your issue. How at what Mhz your router is configured? What is your router transfer rate? What is the rate of your Tx power? What is your current link speed between the computer and the router? Make sure that the link speed between those two must be 100Mbps not 10Mbps. For the safe connection and good transfer rate either turn of the G connection or the onboard wifi adapter. Use only one wifi device in your laptop. Make sure that he firewall is not blocking or hard filtering your incoming and outgoing data packets. Check the router transfer rate and other settings.

For me it seems to be that there might other wireless network in same range and they are interfering cannel. First of all make sure that there are no other wifi networks in same range nearby. If there are any other active networks then you will probably get the channel interference. Another thing is that do not check the transfer speed using small files or data. Try to transfer large files nearly 500MB. This will help you decide what is causing the issue. What type security you are using over the network? For maximum speed I recommended you to use WPA2 (with AES encryption) and set 40MHz as channel width.

You can use the dual connection if they bound together. If they are consistently not linked to one another the network or router uses the fastest one available for it. By using dual connect you can merely improve the throughput. By default in your issue the router uses in built adapter on the laptop and simply ignores the external USB wifi adapter. Open the system Task manager using Ctrl+alt+del button and go to network traffic. There you can see which adapter see currently transferring the data.

Lot of transparency involved in that connection is causing the slow transfer speed. I think that upon transferring your data may be being encapsulated and distorted to a wireless single; potentially encrypted depending on router configuration, transmitted to the router, confirmed, and then send out to another computer, again deciphered back to an original file. To improve it set network to N only or G/N only and also make sure that channels you are using must be individual I your surrounding and turn off any other encryption system.