Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad SL300: Ethernet not showing in device manager

Lenovo ThinkPad SL300: Ethernet not showing in device manager

Hi all, I have a Lenovo ThinkPad SL300 business laptop, which I used basically to access the internet from both the office network and from the home network, I ma having both the wired and the wireless connectivity. At my home network I connect the machine via Ethernet cable, which was working fine till the last day, every morning and after coming back from office, I did the connectivity for my official and some of the personal works. But from this morning I am having a problem regarding the Ethernet, which is not showing sometimes and also sometimes disappears from the disk manager. What is exact cause of the problem is there any issue with the Ethernet cable or something else? Any suggestion on this will be appreciated.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad SL300: Ethernet not showing in device manager

According to your post the problem might be occur for the driver, are you sure that driver that you installed in your machine is the correct one? I would like to suggest you to reconfigure the Ethernet driver with the appropriate requirements in your machine again. Before that, I recommend you to update the driver also. Go to the properties windows by right click on my computer and expand the manage tab and under that again expand the driver tab, under that look for the driver name which you are using for the machine, right click on that and select the update option. After the complete update you might be require for reboot the machine. Now go to the network option tab under the control panel and configure the driver with the network connection that you are using.

Open the device manger from start menu and then settings and then proceed to control; panel, there you will get this option. If you are suing eth environment of windows XP or 2000 then go to the Hardware tab and then proceed to Device Manager Option. Locate the name of the network card or the name of the card manufacturer by expand the list of drivers or card, this will show what are current network devices in your machine, which are recognize by window. As per my knowledge there are two devices are situated in the list by default, one of them is 3com 3c920 fast Ethernet controller. That one might be situated with the other name in your machine, but will be there, because this one the only which is comes with the window network management, this usually contains the description of Ethernet or network which are using in the machine. Click on the network device and then properties under the strong option, this will appears the new window which contains the information about the network interface. So the driver might be out dated, and for that the Ethernet is not showing as working position over there, so I suggest you to update the driver by right click on the driver name and select the update option.

As windows should detect the entire cards or the drivers of the machine during the installation, so though you are telling that the driver is not showing in the device manger option, so I thing that one not installed properly. Reinstall that and re-specified with the network adaptor. Recheck the connector whether the cable is plugged properly also make sure that the jack of the Ethernet port in your machine is also working properly. Check in the device manger where there will be a list with then yellow question mark, check there, the network card might be situated there, in that list all the driver are listed those are not identified by windows. So for that you have to locate the driver of network device and placed it over there. The driver are also placed in that list while the driver is not updated and for that windows not able to detect them, so I think after update the driver you can able to look your Ethernet driver in the device manager list.