Thread: How to shutdown or restart network computers using batch files

How to shutdown or restart network computers using batch files

I am using the Windows Vista Desktop PC and Windows 7 PC at Workgroup. There are number of computer and are connected using LAN and configured with static IP address. Now my requirement is I want to do several task using central workstation. The Main workstation is also connected to the same Workgroup. The tasks which I want to perform are:
    • Wake the systems if they are in sleep mode
    • Shutdown or restart the systems

I want to use a batch file because there are many workstations. Any other similar alternative way is also helpful. Can you suggest some of the tricks or documentation to perform this operation? Can you give me the list of commands for this if they are really available?

re: How to shutdown or restart network computers using batch files

What version or edition of OS you are currently using in your workgroup computers? If you are using Home edition o vista or 7 then this feature or functionality may not be available. In this case you will need to change the OS first. There are some kinds of application available on the internet which will enable you to perform some remote task. But I am sorry to say this that I don’t have any idea about the batch file or command for Windows Computers.

Of course, you can wake up, shutdown or restart the systems which are connected together to same network. The main thing you must notice that the Network Cards in the entire PC's in workgroup should support 'Wake on LAN’ feature. The another thing you will also need is a special kind of software that may allow you to transmit ‘Magic Packets’ which will wake up the PCs. I think this is an easy method to maintain and open/close network using single computer or workstation, instead of manually starting every single system.

Yes I heard about those batch file before which will enables you to perform some LAN based operations. But to achieve by using these file you will have to upgrade Vista or windows 7 to latest edition other than Home edition. Otherwise you will not be able to perform the remote shutdown functionality. Just in case you can open command line and type shutdown –I and press Enter. This command will pop up a Graphical user interface for shutting down the PC’s remotely. I am not sure whether this command will support on all computers or not. But you can try in your workstation.
    Last edited by Saura; 25-11-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Did you try the shutdown.exe command? Many windows OS support this command to remotely shutdown or restart the PC. Otherwise open the command prompt and type shutdown /? To see the list of switches available. Here are a couple of the command switches and they perform several actions like
    -l: ===Logs off the computer
    -s: ===Shuts down the computer
    -r: ===Restarts the computer
    -m \\computername: ===remote shutdown of a computer
    -f: ====Forces programs to close immediately

There are some shutdown switches which will perform several actions using only command line.
    • Shutdown Local Machine === shutdown -s
    • Specify Time=== shutdown -s -t 60
    • Give Us Some Info! ===== shutdown -s -t 120 -c "You better finish, because I will shut your system down!"
    • Shutdown a Remote Computer ===== shutdown -s -m \\desktop -t 45
    • Cancel Shutdown ====shutdown -a