Thread: Slipstreaming security patches

Slipstreaming security patches

The Slipstreaming is a method of installing updates (service packs in most cases) directly inside the source Windows installation. This article shows you the method to integrate security patches (service packs and more) into your Windows installation. This is the method recommended by all sites (with some exceptions) having a section on creating a custom installation CD of Windows. It is a simple but very risky (unless you have the SP2 and the firewall active) and inefficient which is the establishment of a post install Hotfix (via cmdline or svcpack or the RUN RunOnceEx etc.).

Security Issue:

The security issue is that installing the Hotfix (security patches) is in post installation. Where is the problem some might say?, Well, basically, the first problem appears very quickly in an environment infected by virus as CodeRed, Nimda, Blaster, Sasser. Indeed, all these viruses exploit vulnerabilities existing in the network layer of Windows, but even if the faults are resolved following the installation of the hotfix, the problem is that your network layer is installed and set up almost a half hours before installing any hotfix by following this method, the mean face of middle botched by Blaster or Sasser (most "fast") there are almost 100% chance your computer is infected. The first effect will be that, as your Hotfix has been installed, your computer does not tie together but continue to infect any other computers on your network.

Lack of effectiveness

The benefit of doing the slipstreaming is that your Hotfix need not be installed because the sources already integrated. The great advantage is that you do not install additional phase which will increase the total installation time of your system. Moreover, the more you have to install Hotfix longer duration will be lengthened, which is a strong disadvantage in business to estimate the cost of installing your job given the fact that the installation time n is not fixed.

Re: Slipstreaming security patches

Yes, it is necessary that there be an advantage to the method svcpack / cmdline. Indeed, this method is really much simpler to implement than the slipstreaming of Hotfix, this may be one reason why the articles speak only of her (which I doubt since most of these items, such as tips for that matter, are only copying the article from another and another, and all this goes back to the output of a document on Windows 2000 pre SP3). But this will change with the generalization of Update.exe in all patches in addition to service packs, which makes the hotfix slipstreaming of much simpler.

The hotfixed file to slipstream Into a distribution share and make sure Windows Setup That Does not Use The pre-existing (in-box) version of The File Of The hotfixed INSTEAD Of The file version, follow steps thesis:
    1. Connect to the network or computer That You Want to Create the distribution folder.
    2. Create an i386 distribution folder by typing THE FOLLOWING (physician before appropriate drive name):
      MD E: \ i386
    3. Use The xcopy command-line utility to copy files and subfolders The From The Windows 2000 SP3, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 CD-ROM (integrated installation) to the E: \ i386 folder.
    4. Create an E: \ i386 \ svcpack folder. For example, to create a subfolder svcpack In The i386 folder.
    5. Copy The hotfix executable program to the E: \ i386 \ svcpack folder by using The 8.3 naming format.
    6. Expand The hotfix is only temporary to hire.
    7. Delete the E: \ i386 \ Svcpack.inf file.

This engine is very long and was built to allow for different service pack update your Windows but also the automatic service pack slipstreaming into your Windows installation source. This engine has been recently (a contemporary of Windows XP SP2) hotfix integrated to allow automatic slipstreaming of these. Now to integrate your Hotfix your installation source you just run the command:
    Where is the directory containing the i386 folder of your installation, then the engine update.exe (contained in the hotfix) takes over and performs all the manipulations of the previous game, making the manual update almost obsolete. Well because a motor auto is not flawless. A typical example is that of a Hotfix that was updated (V2 Hotfix) to satisfy a problem in the patch, so a post SP2 Hotfix for the TCP / IP has been updated after a Hotfix another involving the same file to be released. The effect is that if you join one of these two Hotfix, the other will not want to settle (error detection version of Windows). The only solution is to integrate manually the second Hotfix paying close attention to the version of binary is replaced by following the above procedure.