Thread: Connection not possible in BEFW11S4 Linksys Router to Motorola Surfboard

Connection not possible in BEFW11S4 Linksys Router to Motorola Surfboard

I have a Linksys wireless router and a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable modem in my home. Yesterday I tried to connect it in order to use the wireless service. What I have done is first I connected the Ethernet port on the Motorola to the first port of LAN. When I connect my system to second Ethernet port on the Linksys the internet starts working. If I connect my PC via wifi I cannot use internet. I don’t know what the reason is for this. What should need to do, to make these things work? Should I need to do any special things here?

Re: Connection not possible in BEFW11S4 Linksys Router to Motorola Surfboard

You cannot use the internet because you have connected to the LAN port. In order to use the internet service via wifi you need to connect modem to the WAN port of the Linksys. The further thing you have to do is configure the cable modem that supplied more than one IP address. If you have by mistakenly connect to the WAN port of the router other than of the LAN port, all of the PCs will get same addresses that is supplied by the router itself, and emerges to the cable modem at a single IP address. You might require duplicating the MAC address of the operational PC into the router.

I have tried something when I got the same issue regarding the unavailability of the internet connection via wifi router. I logged into the router using router's address in browser.
    Then go to Setup > Basic Setup >Internet Connection Type
    Select the type of Internet connection that your ISP provides, using the drop-down menu.

The available types are:
    • Automatic Configuration - DHCP
    • Static IP
    • PPPoE
    • PPTP
    • L2TP
    • Elstra Cable

After choosing correct type Save the changes an exit. Also don’t forget to Power off and power on the router.

I think it is the router problem that is causing the internet connection. Many model of Linksys router has been suffering from the same issue. Try to add the new firmware to your router and also play with different settings. Some settings may not be matching the cable modem. Once again check all the connection in you router, modem and PC. Try to run with WEP “enabled” and next time “disabled” If necessary the call the Linksys technical support for troubleshooting. Also don’t forget to change the IP address manually if it is cannot be assigning automatically.

It seems to me that your computer’s wireless adapter is not working correctly or might be damaged. If you have installed a wireless card or adapter to your system then uninstall their drivers and remove it from the slot and again put it into another slot. It is not necessary to change the slots just in case if there is any problem there then changing would be helpful. Restart the computer and re-install the drivers. Change the recommended wifi settings if necessary. To make things work you have to configure the Wireless LAN utility.