Thread: Steps to access router settings

Steps to access router settings

I am using Microsoft windows 7 operating system on my desktop. I have taken an internet connection and my internet service provider has connected my desktop to the internet with the help of speedstream modem and Linksys router. I wanted to access my router but I am unaware of the steps to be carried out to access the router.

Re: Steps to access router settings

To access the router settings first you need to make sure that the router is dead or alive. If the router you want to access is dead then you will not be able to access its services. In order to check router whether it is dead or alive you need to ping the router. To ping the router you need to go to Start/Run and type cmd command in the Run window. In the MSDOS prompt type ping and router IP address. After typing the command hit the enter key. If you get a reply then your connection is alive but if you don’t get a reply then your router is dead.

You can access router via “ipconfig” command. You need to go to the start button on the desktop. Select run window and type “cmd” command. Hit the enter key after typing the cmd command and MSDOS prompt will get open. In the MSDOS prompt type ipconfig and press the enter key. You will get the default gateway IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1. Now you need to type the IP address into the browser and it will start working.

I have successfully done the settings and configured my Linksys router but still there is default password set to my router and I want to change the default password for security purpose. Is there any way through which I can change the default password. Also give me the steps to change the default password.

While configuring the router you must be sure that you have changed its default password. Routers don’t have settings that you will find on your computer. They are located and accessed on the network. You can follow the below given steps to change the default password
    1. Start your browser by double clicking on the browser icon from the desktop that you have installed on your system.
    2. Now you need to enter the router IP address (192.168.1.1) in the browser to access the settings.
    3. After entering the IP address and pressing the enter key you will get an authorization request.
    4. You will see username as blank and “admin” as password and now you will see router home page for configuration.
    5. Click on password tab and enter the password. Click on apply button to apply the changes.
    6. Now you have set password to the router.

While configuring router for accessing the internet it is set with the default administrator login information so that it is secured. Security is very efficient so that the router can function properly. To access the router settings you need to enter the correct administrator login information. If you are able to enter the administrator login information successfully then you can access the router settings but if you don’t know the administrator login information then you can’t access the settings.