Thread: Wifi Repeater for a range of 2 mile

Wifi Repeater for a range of 2 mile

I am looking for a wifi repeater which can capable of connecting and transmitting the signal to nearly 2 miles. I need to connect to one of my friends home network so that we can play online games, share data etc. I searched in the internet I got so many results over there. I am confused which one to choose and which one is better. I need a strong connection or access along with good performance. So I am asking you to provide me some information about the most running wifi repeater. I don’t mind if it is a home usage product or the office product. Please provide me some feedback about 2miles wireless repeaters.

Re: Wifi Repeater for a range of 2 mile

There are several models of Wifi repeaters are available in the market which can capable for long distance access. I am not sure for what purpose you want to use this kind of repeater. Do you need a WLAN access along the 2miles range or just want to connect to a single point or network that is 2 miles away? If you want to cover entire 2 miles surroundings then I think it is not possible, because a good antenna could widen 11b/g signal to nearly 500 feet. If you are just concern about a single direction signal to the users along the way, then you need to refer some directional antenna which will take to 2 mile distances.

What kind of coverage you expects from the wifi repeater, is it for the coverage of entire 2 mile or for the 2 mile straight line? The thing is if you are concerning about the standard residential equipment then it is impractical. Because the maximum range of the home wifi router is nearly 100 meter circle. If you want to communicate over a straight line detachment of 2 mile, you can use high gain directional antennas. But I don’t think that covering 2 mile is practically possible, but you can give a try for this experiment.

When I was searching on the internet I found a good wireless product called Hawking Hi-Gain Wi-Fi Range Extending 12dBi Directional Window Antenna. It offers an expedient way out for strengthening and directing WiFi connection signals. We can plug it directly into an antenna port of your wireless devices (Access Points, Routers, Bridges and Network Adapters). The Directional Window Antenna is built with ensuring utmost superiority and performance. This sky-scraping performance engineering will extend the wireless distance of up to 2 miles. A pioneering swiveling window mount allows you to target the antenna directly towards the areas which are lacking WiFi signal coverage. Directional Window Antenna uses simple and straightforward Installation procedure. It boosts up the antenna power from a minimal 2dBi to a more effective 12dBi.

There are other kind of long range wifi system for marine and RVs. The device from The Wirie will provide this kind of boxes. The features are
    • Easy long range WiFi system to install and use.
    • Pinnacle performance, without the complications of similar products.
    • Mainly Designed and engineered for marine and RV use.
    • Inexpensive system for boats and RVs to get online.
    • Share The Wirie with multiple computers/devices simultaneously.
    • The wireless adapter inside The Wirie is the best 1000mW external adapter.

There is Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs available in the market and you can install it in your home also. This kit includes Wi-Fi Repeater Unit, High Gain Outdoor Omnidirectional Antenna, 20 feet of antenna cable with velcro strap for storage and Instruction Manual. You don’t need any special kind of drivers or softwares. It works with all platforms of OS. There are 2 types of antennas are available, you can choose anyone that suits your needs. The options are
    1: 8.5dBi Portable Omni
    1/2 mile range under average conditions.
    Compact: 2 feet tall - easy to transport and store.
    Wing nuts for easy portable assembly without tools.
    2: 15dBi High Gain Omni
    1 mile range under average conditions.
    Large: 5.5 feet tall - not as easy to store and transport.
    Best for permanent use or extreme long range.