Thread: WAP54G DD-WRT over Linksys firmware

WAP54G DD-WRT over Linksys firmware

After seeing various pages, threads and forums about DD-WRT in the internet I saw several things. I examine that how a stronger feature set would be valuable in a completely blown wireless router configuration like the Linksys WRT. Now my thinking is that instead of these settings what about running a micro version just like my Linksys WAP54G v3.1 access point? What is your opinion about this? Don’t give any dummy advice. It is very important for me.

Re: WAP54G DD-WRT over Linksys firmware

Approximately all of those positive features in DD-WRT are on the router part of the mystery. The WAP54G v3.1 is an access point, which is deficient in a router division. All you'll get are the fundamental wireless settings, some add-ons to encryption, and some substitute authentication schemes. It works well but a feature wasn’t the great. It is concluded that the WAP54G v3.1 has a few problems. You may get lockups and hangs. It also won't accomplish WPA encryption among two WAP54G boxes in link mode. There was also a bug that not permitted accessing the administrator IP address from the other wall of the bridge.

You may know that the DD-WRT is a third party urbanized firmware released beneath the conditions of the GPL for numerous IEEE802.11a/b/g/h/n wireless routers based on a Broadcom or Atheros chip orientation design. As my knowledge Installing DD-WRT on a router in the majority cases is more than or less as effortless as installing a program onto your computer. However, doing it imperfectly can depart you with a router that you have to toss away. The term firmware is known as installation of program on router and the installation can be accomplished by a technique called flashing.

The device is a basic 802.11b/g access point with only one Ethernet port and small besides. It contains adaptable back antennae and a frontage panel with several blinking lights. The model I am talking about is WAP54G ver 3.1. It distributed with firmware version 3.05, dated 2005-12-28. It includes 200MHz Broadcom BCM5352 CPU, 4MB of Flash memory, and 8MB of RAM. The WAP54G has a web-based setup interface that works practically well, but it lacks of a telnet-based interface. The WPA2 works well with DD-WRT, but the truly kind thing is it moreover handles to fit in an ample Web interface in the default installation.

I want to share my opinion. First of all I couldn't uncover any method to create the built-in Linksys firmware work consistently, and I tried contact Linksys technical support but it was useless. Later I make the OpenWRT working with some exertion. It was unwavering, but the device does not have sufficient memory to install the whole thing needed to allow WPA2. DD-WRT has locked up a couple of times, but it works a sufficient amount for me.