Thread: Linksys WRT54G Power failure

Linksys WRT54G Power failure

I contain two Linksys WRT54G V1 wireless routers which are intended to run on 5V DC. A few days before both routers, situated at dissimilar places approximately 1-1/2 km separately disastrous. Upon further exploration I have resolute that the power supplies both abortive at the equal time, however there was still sufficient power to keep the lights up and running but the routers would not complete their analytic test and only left the analytic light on. I grabber a 5v power provide from one of my further Linksys routers and both broken routers started functioning in general, So I found a few 5V DC power provisions from additional sources, tested them with a meter and after that plugged them into the routers. They really don't effort. What is so exclusive about the Linksys 5V power supply? I broke up annoying three dissimilar styles of power including taking 5V DC from a USB port.

Re: Linksys WRT54G Power failure

I think there are two parts to the power adapter rating: The first one is voltage and the other is current. What is the present output rating of the additional adapters that don't? It could be so as to the routers take 1 to 2 Amps and the nonspecific adapters are proficient of fewer than that. A USB port can no more than source 500mA per hub which improbable to be able to power a whole router.

This is what I am going to attempt by means of two Linksys WRT54G routers that are not working right currently and an old computer. I will be pulling the 5V DC from the computer tower, and hooking it into pins 4, 5 and 7, 8 on my Ethernet card in arrange to make possible my own version of POE that is Power over Ethernet. If this goes accurate I will have the computer power the Router which works enormous because I just require the router powered up while the computer is on anyway. I must reply back if I attempt something or if it goes ok. If it works others could pull from the 12V side of the tower to power their Owen routers. In fact it might make intellect for me to insert a switch right away to choose between 5V and 12V only in case I alter my router.

For the subsequent time, the power contributes for my Linksys WRT54G has passed away. Obviously I am at the moment thinking there is a trouble with the router. Although I am enthusiastic to admit or believe it just might be a happenstance even though it gives the impression improbable. Anyone else have the similar issue with these routers? Or anyone have the solution for this issue or any related information about this then please must provide!!!!!!

I have vanished three of the old 5VDC 3A Linksys power supplies used on the WRT54Gv1 invocation. Each model later than that used 12VDC 1A power supplies that appear to work only well. The WRT54G has an extremely broad range switching regulator within that will run on everything from concerning 4VDC to perhaps 18VDC. If the power provisions which are blustering up are 5VDC 3A models, I recommend trying the 12VDC 1A taste. One more possibility for Power supply crash is overheating. I had one client that blusters up their router wall lump because the floor warmer had ripe the power supply adequately to puff the interior thermal fuse.
    Last edited by HiSpeed; 23-11-2010 at 05:13 AM.

I think there are cord flex troubles. Shaped power connectors frequently go irregular. Similar with breaking the power connector within the WRT54G, verify the power supply output with a DC volts guesser. Power points and AC line glitches enough to fuse a power supply would as well bluster up the majority of the home electronics in the home. Dropping the unbiased might reason one stage of the power line to go overvoltage. It is possible, but there would most likely be substantial smash up to further things in the home. The characteristic rush defender will as well guard against overvoltage.