Thread: Using computer as Wireless Repeater to extend range

Using computer as Wireless Repeater to extend range

Hello friends, I am in trouble that is it possible to use the personal computer running windows as a wireless repeater to extend or boost the range which is coming from the wireless router. It is really hard to find its answer. I am having the two personal computers which is connected to my wireless router physically. The one computer which is upstairs is having the good signal and the other computer which is downstairs, is having the very poor signal. I am thinking that is there any way to make use of the computer on to the main level to retransmit the signal, so that my downstairs computer gets the stronger signal. By moving the router in between the two floors is not possible. How can I connect my computer as a wireless repeater to extend range? Please help.

Re: Using computer as Wireless Repeater to extend range

Is there any way to have the Wireless Distribution Service (WDS) to connect wireless upstairs router. If you are not very sure about it just disclose the model and maker number. WDS support simultaneously acts as the store and forward repeater and also acts as the access point. Install WDS one near to in between of the floor personal computer, remove the USB adapter and run the CAT5 from middle of the floor computer to the added WDS Bridge. Connect it with the help of the wireless repeater from the downstairs. Keep in mind that both upstairs and downstairs boxes should support the WDS. Also look that for the WDS Bridge that not supports the WPA encryption. Some of them do it, but some doesn’t.

It can be also possible for you; Most of the mesh networks are essentially combination of the client bridge and the repeaters. You may get this more example on the meraki.com. Meraki is selling this type of radios that end up at the central access point. You can create such type of system in to your house. It can pass the traffic in between floors and the radios. There are also a large variety of open source efforts to do this same thing. It is also possible for you install the two wireless cards and devices in to your middle computer. And set them some kind of the repeaters. I am not having any idea that it can be done. I will suggest you to go for the WDS bridge which is much simpler and cheaper solution for you.

Antenna can create the huge difference, for example 6dB antenna will double of your range. The 6dB difference in to the signal level will be very good for getting the doubling connection speed. To get the 6dB of directional gains is very easy with the coffee can, reflector antenna or with biquad. If you get the very weak signal with the conventional antenna, then the directional antenna will be far better for it. Also if your flooring is chicken wire, concrete and steel then no antenna is going to help much. Try starting with the reflector.