Thread: Information about the VPN protocols

Information about the VPN protocols

I am trying to gain more knowledge about the VPN, so thought that you guys can help me out. I am looking for the information about the VPN protocols in details, and I am sure that members hanging over there will definitely help there. I just know that the most important protocols for setting up a VPN tunnel are, besides those already mentioned IPsec and PPTP, the protocol L2F and L2TP. Basically, I was looking for the general and reminders on VPN protocols. I am hoping that you will respond me sooner.

Re: Information about the VPN protocols

I would like to discuss about the PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol). PPTP is probably the most widespread in relation to access remote nomads. Easy to implement (just a few clicks for a basic installation on Windows Server), it is ideal for infrastructure does not require special security and requires little maintenance. However, it will fill the duties of traffic encryption protocol with the Microsoft Point-to-Point Encryption (MPPE). Its simplicity of implementation is coupled with the broad support for client operating systems and the ease of setting up a PPTP connection on them, which for the most part, do not require client software to third parties. Note however, disadvantages. The establishment and maintenance of the session is in fact persistent links via 2: 1 session GRE (Generic Routing Encapsulation) encapsulating a PPP session and a TCP session to port 1723 of server used to manage the GRE session. Using protocol encapsulation GRE, it is not clear that it can be implemented everywhere. Indeed, many materials do not support GRE which makes impossible its implementation, including basic routers and the famous Box of different ISPs. Another weak point, the authentication of the user before the session establishment. Although using common protocol MS-CHAPv2, this leaves room for weak passwords for users, a deficiency can be remedied by the use of certificates with EAP-TLS.

Can be considered as an evolution of L2TP PPTP because it is derived from it and L2F Cisco. His RFC was published in 1999, is a relatively new protocol. It is rarely used alone because of its lack of security, so it is almost always used with IPSec, L2TP/IPSec he is appointed. This guarantees the establishment of a secure channel between the client and server. IKE (Internet Key Exchange) is responsible for negotiating the security association that uses certificates or a preshared key on the 2 sides of the channel. This happens to UDP port 500. The ESP (Encapsulating Security Payload, protocol No. 50) encapsulates the L2TP tunnel and then gives it privacy and authenticity of the packages. But if L2TP/IPSec provides increased security, it is difficult to implement and may experience compatibility problems with firewalls. It is for these reasons it is originally intended to establish site to site links. Indeed, it is often used with certificates of the 2 sides of the canal, which would require a public key infrastructure important for mobile connections.

SSTP is currently the fashionable solution for VPN connections. Dedicated appliances and software solutions are increasing with more or less success. SSTP is based on SSL or TLS and thus on the server authentication certificate and by establishing an encrypted link between two hosts. This base also gives it a very broad compatibility with network equipment, connection is established via TCP to port 443. The SSL VPN solution is implemented natively on Windows Server 2008 RC0 since this avoids any investment in a third-party solution. Intended for use only mobile clients, its support is only provided by Windows Vista SP1, we regret its absence in the Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. At the end of the trading session, an IPv4 packet passing through the tunnel SSTP is encapsulated in a PPP header and PBS all encrypted with the SSL session key. Are then added a header and TCP IPv4.

L2F Layer 2 Forwarding stands for and was Cisco, Nortel and Shiva developed. The so-called multiplex ID L2F header allows the simultaneous operation of multiple tunnels. The client ID and allows multiple parallel connections within each tunnel. It supports point-to-point and point-to-multipoint connections. In addition to PPP and SLIP can L2F tunnels. The authentication is via a challenge-handshake method. L2TP combines the advantages of PPTP and L2F. A tunnel ID in the L2TP header allows multiple operating the tunnel. NAT (Network Address Translation) is supported. The L2TP tunnel is established between the NAS of the ISP and the VPN node (the user). L2TP allows for authentication based on CHAP / PAP. There is no defined encryption in it. IPsec stands for IP Security Protocol. As an extension / IP to it is a Layer 3 tunneling protocol. IPsec was originally planned for IP version 6, but today it's (also) for IPv4 completely standardized. It allows (currently) only the encryption of IP packets, does not transmit multicast and supports - deliberately! - Only static routing. IPsec is transparent to the applications behave and be integrated into existing networks can thus easily no down certain encryption methods must be carried on authentication and encryption are used for different protocols that are independent of each other or together can be it will be possible in principle, IPSec protocols include further.