Thread: How to reset base station password

How to reset base station password

Hi Friends,

I wanted to reset my password for the base station management tool. To do that, I did a reset on my base station. When I read the user manual for that then I found, it was written that the password will automatically reset to "admin". But when I tried this then it fails to login. Can you tell me that what is the problem with that? I will appreciate each and every helpful suggestion. Thanks.

Re: How to reset base station password

Have you done the software reset or the hardware reset? You can try out this. Make use of the ink cartridge from ballpoint pen. Using this you can depress the small reset button which is there on the base station. Keep pressing that button until the power light flash orange from green. If you are using the MN-500 or MN-700 then you will find this small button under the antenna. When you see that all the lights turns to green that this means that it has reset it physically. Now the password and the username both will change to “admin”. You can also do this and enter “admin” as the username and password.

If you are using the MN-100 & MN-500 then you should make sure that you should maintain the object in until the power light on and starts to blink amber & green. If it started blinking then this will confirm that it has finished with the factory reset successfully. I don’t know about the procedure for the MN-700. You should see the manual for this and I think that you will find the way to do the factory reset the MN-700.

The password should be the ‘’admin”. I don’t know that why you are not able to login. Just to confirm, you should not enter it with the quotes. Type username and the password as “admin” but without the quotes. I know that is very common think and you may know this but still there are some people who can do this silly mistake and I am posting this for those people.

Here is one solution that you can do if you have forgotten the password for your Base Station or Network Password. You have to press the reset button which is there at the bottom of the AirPort Base Station for resetting the base station password. Just follow the steps below and you will be able to do that.

First of all take a straightened paper clip and insert that into the small hole which you will find at the bottom of the base station.
    1. Press the reset button and hold that for one second.
    2. This will set the base station password to public for next five minutes.
    3. You may need to use the AirPort application for selecting the network created by the base station, if necessary.
    4. If it prompts you for the password then you have to enter it as public.
    5. Go to the AirPort folder in the Apple Extras folder and from there open the AirPort Admin Utility.
    6. From that you have to select your base station and click on the configure button.
    7. This will prompts you for the new network and base station passwords and you have to enter that accordingly. In some cases it ,ay also ask you for the IP address and if it asks then provide the same.

Hi all, I wanted to know that if there is any way for resetting the password for the Airport Extreme base. About three years ago, I did a set up of 2 base satation. Now I want to make some changes to the network and for this it is prompting me for the password but I do not remember that which I assigned three years back. I talked to Apple care and they are charging a lot of money for that. I like to try something from my side. I have already tried the one which is suggested above but that was not helpful. If you have any suggestion for this then please post it.

Just go to HD/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app. There you have to find the airport administrator password. Double click on that and then choose show. After that it will prompt you for the password for your account. This will be likely there if you set the basestations up on your machine. The alternative option for this is that you can hold the reset button until it lights go flashy. This will make it to lose all the settings and will set it to default public password.