Thread: how to connect to external hard drive to my home network

how to connect to external hard drive to my home network

Hello Friends, I have recently bought WD external hard drive for me because I used to carry big files with me many of the times. I wanted to connect that to my home network so that it is reachable from all the computers that are in network. I do not want this to connect to any of the computer and make it as a share folder because it will not be accessible from all other computer if the connected computer gets switched off.

I am using the Linksys Wireless router which does not have any USB interface. Can you tell me the best way to do this? I will appreciate any helpful suggestion. Thank you.

Re: how to connect to external hard drive to my home network

Hi, I am also in the research of the same thing because, I also want to do the same. I am searching for the best option that can help me to network an external hard drive and accessible to all the device on the network like xbox 360 or MAC notebook Or Windows laptop.

You will find that the Western Digital is making 2TB mirrored drive and it is compatible with the Airport Extreme but I am looking for something that should be less expensive in comparison with this.

You can try the belkin usb network hub that seems to have half decent management software . You can also see the on ebay for a used buffalo linkstation pro or live but try to avoid the ‘lite’ version of it. This is the only thing that I can recommend you and that is up to you that what you want to use. Thank you.

You can use the USB-to-Ethernet Adapter and that will help you to do that but is costs around 80 dollar. If you are ready to pay that then I would like to use the network enclosure. If you use this then you will not have to use the HD's as you have one previously. You may need to format the drive but you can copy the contents of that to some other drive if that is important and after formatting, you can copy that back to your HD.