Thread: WEP key and Security tips for Wi-Fi networks

WEP key and Security tips for Wi-Fi networks

I am having laptop connected to my office network via Router. I am unaware of the WEP key of my router through which my laptop is connected. I want to know the WEP key of my router but I am unaware of the steps that should be carried to know WEP key for any router. Also provide some security tips for securing my Wi-Fi network.

Re: WEP key and Security tips for Wi-Fi networks

Steps to find the WEP key is as follows:
    1. You should connect your computer to one of the ports at the back of your router with the help of the DSL cable.
    2. Now open the browser and type the given IP address in the address bar. On pressing the enter key your administration page for your router will appear.
    3. Enter “Admin” for password and leave the username blank. These username and password you use is default. If you have set different username and password then you need to enter that username and password.
    4. Click on the wireless security tab under wireless tab at the bottom of the screen.
    5. The WEP key will be listed. The first key is the WEP key for router.

You can secure your Wi-Fi network by enabling MAC filtering mechanism. The steps of enabling MAC filtering are given below:
    • A hacker can get access to your network very easily. You should allow wireless access to only trusted MAC i.e. Websites. MAC is known as Media Access Control. It is a unique identifier connected to most network adapter. MAC address should be unique for every system.
    • First you should get the wireless hardware address. For e.g. to find the hardware address of windows platform use ipconfig /all command on the command prompt and press the enter key.
    • Click on Wireless /Wireless MAC filter and then click on enable button next to “Wireless MAC filter” an then click on “Permit only PCs listed to access the wireless network”.
    • Now click on edit MAC filter list and add the MAC address of your system to this list. Click on save settings.

Few steps to secure your Wi-Fi network are:

1. Change the username and password- Every router comes with the default user name and password. Two router with identical router have the same login and if you don’ t change the login details then hacker can easily enter into your network. If the login details are changed then it is difficult for the hacker to break it.
    2. Restrict the network mode-Computer using Wi-Fi should restrict themselves to Wi-Fi mode so that unwanted computer cannot connect to your network.
    3. Enable the Firewall of router- Firewall has an inbuilt router in it. It checks all the traffic entering into your network from the internet. If your firewall is on then it keeps your network from being detected by the hackers.
    4. Turn off the firewall-When you are not going to use the network for a long time then you should turn off the firewall. Thus the risk of hacking gets minimized.

Wi-Fi networks can be secured by using the following techniques. They are:

• Using encryption- Wi-Fi network system encryption of messages that are send through the internet. If the message is not encrypted then it becomes easy for hacker to hack the message. You should turn on the encryption.
    • Changing the default IP address-all router use the default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1. It should be changed to some other IP address like in the following format i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx
    • Turn off the internet- When you don’t want to use internet you should turn off the ADSL/Cable Modem or unplug the ISP wire.
    • Change the Default SSID-SSID gives the name of your network. Through SSID hacker can identify you network either office or home. Change the SSID to random or stop the broadcasting.