Thread: Slow Logons and DNS Problems

Slow Logons and DNS Problems

At our local Catholic school where I volunteer my technical services we are having issues with slow logon times. I am suspecting DNS issues and our DNS event log fills up rather quickly. The events we see are - Event ID 3000, Event ID 4010 and Event ID 7062. Another related issue is a new laptop we had donated for one of our teachers. I cannot get it to join the domain. Help would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching some screen shots that may shed some light on the problems.

Thank you!

Mr. Technology

Re: Slow Logons and DNS Problems

If you want to fix this then you may want to open the DNS console. Under forwarders, click the Notify tab on the bottom. If your DNS is listed in your name servers, the Notify function by default will send to all that are listed. Change that setting to only your other secondary DNS server. Your primary DNS server does not need to notify itself of zone changes. When left in its default mode, the primary sends zone change requests to itself causing this event. You can also see proof of that in the full debug log for DNS; you will see the UDP send command

I went to the DNS console and right clicked the server and went to properties. I clicked on the Forwarders tab but I did not see anything that said "Notify." did I go to the wrong place? Thanks!

Slow Logons are usually due to misconfiguration in your DNS. It is an prime requirement that your DNS is setup properly. Some tips to fight with the issue is first check that all your clients are properly configured on the local dns. Second is that check that your dns server is properly configured to permit dynamic updates. And last thing check that name resolution is not set on the clients but it must be forwarded to the local Dns server. If it is grayed out then you have to delete the root zone to permit the server for the query.

The configuration has all the clients getting a dymnamic IP address form the server within the scope that is already defined.
    I am not sure about where to look to make sure the server is configured for dynamic updates. Could you please piont me in the right direction?
    Also, where do I check the name resolution settings on the clients? They are all running Windows XP Pro.

We have another problem that may or may not be related to this. In the past two weeks I have had two different teachers call and report that their documents were missing from their network profile folder. What could be happening here?

After reading your queries I am think there is issue if the user account and workgroup. You might be aware that to connect your group the user have to change the workgroup setting. That means they have to right click on My Computer > Computer Name > Workgroup. If there id's is properly configured then you must not face such issue. I found this issue is related to the user account. Try to check the settings once again properly along with the permission policies.

I have already checked this. It only seems to be a problem with the laptops. Earlier in the year I raised 30 desktops to the domain with no problem.