Thread: VSFTPD gives 500 Unknown commands

VSFTPD gives 500 Unknown commands

From last 30 to 40 hours ago, it worked perfectly. After that I downloaded some gig from my server in the last some weeks and then it stopped. Currently, connecting to it and altering directory works, but the LIST command precedes 500 Unknown commands. I am running vsftpd.i386 2.0.1-5.EL4.3. I don't think no matter which got changed while it stopped working, but clearly something did. Permissions on the directory altered to be 775. The directory altered to is owned by the user logging in to FTP. That directory haves further directories which are all 775. So I am really not understood what to do now. Are there any tips or suggestions or any more information related to VSFTPD? Please help…….

Re: VSFTPD gives 500 Unknown commands

A long ago I make use of vsftpd for a website building site. I got a group of error ‘User cannot login’. Try to starting again vsftpd. It took me a small amount of hours for troubleshooting, and while I restarted vsftpd, it perfectly worked. I may have done anything else, because later than one and half hours of troubleshooting in the morning I was completely bushed or tired and truly didn't mind what I had done to fix it.

I also had the same issue. Just do this, check your “vsftpd.con”f for this line: “passive_disabled=yes”. It presents the similar error, and denied a few users and a few not. The users denied used a client which must have inactive connections. But the server declines that. I hope this information may be helpful for you. Good Luck..

Passive or inactive FTP necessitates a connection on a port --- 1024. Your firewall that is your iptables will certainly require permitting this. On the other hand, if you don't wish to open every ports --- 1024 which is a grave security wizard, you can bound the port numbers vsftpd uses to a convinced range. Verify the “pasv_min_port” and “pasv_max_port” alternatives. If you set these alternatives you simply require opening the known range of ports in iptables.

I just newly installed vsftpd and configured it. While I attempt it to connect to the FTP server using Transmit, it manages to connect but suspends or hang up on Listing "/". After that, I receive a message stating: Could not recover file listing for “/”. Control connection timed out. Does it have something to perform with my iptables? If anyone have any detail or any solution, than please reply.

I think your server iptables configuration is not really the matter. Most probable, the server's FTP data connection is being barren from accomplishment your client computer. By default, FTP uses the active mode, whereby the server in fact attempts to open the data connection reverse to the customer. Consumer NAT routers will normally chunk this, most important to the connection timeout you renowned. Set your FTP client to use "passive" mode, and it should work. If it does not, make sure that the “nf_conntrack_ftp” kernel module is loaded on the server:

I don't do iptables, but it is obvious as day from the rule set you are showing that you require to learn a little more about how FTP works. FTP is an unusual service, in that it has a control port and a data port. It is not enough to open just port 21 which is only the control port. Data ports depend on if you are using active or passive FTP relocate. I don't know how iptables works, but you necessitate enhancing the ruleset so that it can as well agree to traffic on port 20 for FTP data. Or else, you necessitate configuring the packet filter to work with passive data transfer, and tell your customer to use that form of communication or data transfer too.

VSFTPD is a GPL (General Public License) licensed FTP server for UNIX systems, together with Linux. It is safe and very fast. Don't take my word for it, although. Under, we will see confirmation supporting all three declarations. I will as well see a list of some important sites which are gladly using VSFTPD. This shows VSFTPD is a mature and expectation resolution.