Thread: Accented Character Problems In Ghostscript

Accented Character Problems In Ghostscript

I have been using the Free BSD server for creating pdf files by using the Ghostscript software. I had made the use of post script files from the Windows XP Clients for creating this pdf files. The looks of the pdf files are fine when we look the files in the Acrobat reader, but when we try to do the text search and text extraction it does not work properly. This issues are always faced in the Accented characters only, and as far as my knowledge I always had the issues with the Accented characters when it used in the Ghost script. Please tell what is the issues with it and why always this problems arises in the Ghost script.

Re: Accented Character Problems In Ghostscript

I would like you to see the below given test files that will tell you the difference between the Open Office files and Ghostscripts:

1) I would like you to Look the view that is showed in the Open File format:

Code:
    $ pdffonts proba.pdf
    name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
    ------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
    BAAAAA+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType     yes yes yes      9  0
    2) And also look at the below view that you can see in the Ghost Script:

Code:
    $ pdffonts proba1.pdf
    name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
    ------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
    Error: Illegal entry in bfrange block in ToUnicode CMap
    Error: Illegal entry in bfrange block in ToUnicode CMap
    Times-Roman                          Type 1       no  no  no       8  0
    CXOYBI+Arial                 TrueType     yes yes yes      9  0

When you create the pdf file in the ghost-script the accented characters as the ő and ű which are not searchable and which cannot be extracted correctly.

The solution is that you can raise the issues with the Ghost script Bugzilla database. Also try with the IRC where you can explain what problem is their with the Ghost script and their is the issue with the fonts that are embedded in to the PS and which that gets connected to the server. Also when you report the issues that are face by you in the Bugzilla you got to attach the PS file along with it and also the pdf with which you have got the problems.

I tried doing this but in vain I still got the problem, as the Solution that was provided by the Bugzilla was in appropriate, but the issues got resolved for a period of time and started with the similar notes again. also the other issues that are faced by me is I cannot catch the contents of Ghost Script even after reading the manuals. Also I have deleted all the font files from the directory to see the that what type of Font files are being used by the Ghost script. But still the Ghost script is working out properly out and showing no errors. The error is shown below:

Arial
    Type: Type 1
    Encoding: Custom
    Actual Font: ArialPSMT
    Actual Font Type: TrueType

Arial (embedded subset)
    Type: TrueType
    Encoding: Custom

Please help me out with this issues also.

The above problem that you are informing is that rather hard to guess because you got to discuss the above problem with the Test Case and cannot be resolved without the test Case. Also the problem can be with the construction of the post script that will make it impossible for you to search in the searchable pdf. Such post script issues are rare to be a seen and still unknown to many peoples. You can also try out the Post script Test job and many other relevant options that are present in the ghost script.

You can also see that whether all the font files are being installed properly and see if their are some missing files in it. The Free BSD is similar to the Unix operating system that are the dependents of AT&T and UNIX. But it is not the clone of the UNIX go generally their are some problems that are faced by it. And on the their hand the Ghost Script file are not compatible with the Free BSD when it comes to the accented Characters and always display such kind of errors. The Ghostscript is based on the Adobe post script and pdf file formats. So try to use some other operating for the Ghost Script which is supporting the accented characters.