Thread: Improve internet speed of Huawei EC1260 with Antenna or Booster

Improve internet speed of Huawei EC1260 with Antenna or Booster

I normally use mobile internet through Huawei EC1260. Usually I experience a lot of bandwidth issues while using mobile broadband. Although I can see full signal strength, I experience very low download speed when compared to what it should be. My plan is a 2 Mbps plan but I only get 30KBps download speed. It never exceeds this limit. What can I do to improve my speed? Do I need to use some antenna or booster to either improve speed or atleast make the connection stable?

Re: Improve internet speed of Huawei EC1260 with Antenna or Booster

Instead of using an antenna or a booster, I would recommend you to use an extended USB cable. The USB signals going through the extension cable are buffered to ensure you have better signal quality and there is no loose connections. The extension cable acts as a transparent USB hub and buffers both downstream and upstream data traffic. You can now test the download speed once again and see if that helps.

If your indication is towards loose connection then I would like to inform you that I have already checked the connection of the modem with my computer and it is perfectly ok. I have also tried to provide some support to metal object near it to make sure the connection is proper but it didn't helped either. This actually decreased my download speed a lot. So I don't think that's the problem. Is there any other suggestions to this problem?

This is where you made the mistake. Don't use any metal object near wireless connection. It decreases your wireless speed. This happens because wireless signals are affected by the metal object and so your modem will not receive full strength that your ISP is providing to you. It is always said to put your wireless devices away from metal object, other wireless devices like cordless phone etc, walls, heavy materials etc which can affect your wireless signal strength. If required you can even change the signal at which your modem is working to some higher bandwidth to ensure there is no disturbances from other wireless devices.

To improve your internet speed, go to Start, Run, type gpedit.msc and press OK button. On the left pane, go to Administrative Templates, then go to Network tab. Now select QoS Packet Scheduler and click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth. Make sure the checkbox for Enabled is having a tick mark. Now change the "Bandwidth limit %" to 0. Save the changes and you need to restart your computer for changes to take effect.

Most wireless devices are configured to the default settings which includes using wireless QoS, network speed of 11.0 MBPs etc. You can change this settings to improve your interface speed with the network. If required install the updated driver/firmware on your computer. Also use a unique SSID and encrypt it. There are some situations where someone else is using your connection causing you to slower down your connection.