Thread: How to connect to the home network from outside

How to connect to the home network from outside

I have bought a D-Link DIR-655 and have created a home network. I would like to connect to a NAS where I will be having all the data underlying that is accessible from any PC in the network. However, I will also have access to NAS when I'm traveling. Is there anyone who can tell me how to go about achieving this? I have no idea about this so it would be wonderful if I could get a step-by-step explanation of how I set this up.

Re: How to connect to the home network from outside

It depends a bit how you want it to work. Let us first agree on what to do - I will give detailed instructions about the details.

The simplest and most convenient you are the only one who will contact it is using remote desktop (or equivalent) remote control. This you have probably seen before, it allows you to control the home machine as if you were sitting at home on the keyboard. Remote desktop and many of the alternative programs also let you copy the files, and its so easy if you need it.

To simulate that your computer is connected to your home network (which may be more convenient if you have access to a large network with many machines) is to set up a VPN server or other solution. Then, as you said have the same functionality as if you connected your network at home, and thereby gain access to files, etc. just like normal.

Both options above will involve forward one or more relevant ports in the router so they can reach a server program (which we also need to install and/or set up). More details when you know what to do.

NAS devices are often very limited in what services they can run. If you are using any kind of normal PC for the job, however, you are very open in relation to the type of solution you want.

If your NAS is a normal PC with OS, so I recommend Team Viewer. Simply install as it works. Don't worry. TeamViewer connects to any PC or server around the world within a few seconds. You can remote control another PC as if you were sitting right in front of it. All you have to do is start a small application, which does not even require installation or administrative rights.

It depends entirely what features the NAS has built-in that case. It would not be surprising to see a VPN server function for example, or perhaps a web server interface that can make files available via the Internet with a password? The possibilities are many - but one can not adopt tab functionality until you check anyway. At a minimum we must have the model number to google built-in functionality that it has.