Thread: File transfer between 2 PCs

File transfer between 2 PCs

I recently bought a laptop. I need to transfer some files from my desktop computer into it. This includes documents, music, pictures, etc. The desktop has Windows XP, while the laptop has Windows 7 Home. I have tried connecting them directly with the network and set up different IP addresses, but it did not help. Found network eventually, but did not find the other PC on it. Of course, possible I did something wrong somewhere. Which is the best way to do this? I need to transfer a lot of data, so do not want to spend a ton of DVDs and time to burn. Read about the crossover cable, but seeing as that it should not be necessary anymore. Unfortunately I bought the wrong cable. Thought it was a crossover, but turns out it is a regular network cable (I think). Cat 5E. Can I do this with a regular network cable, and if so how?

Re: File transfer between 2 PCs

It is easiest if you have a hub or switch. Most newer computers come with network cards that automatically check whether they are connected to a hub or directly to another PC.

Network setup you want is
    Windows XP machine
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: blank

Windows 7 machine
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: blank

So it is only to set up file sharing on the XP machine without running firewall and connect. From Windows 7 machine as you will then connect to \\192.168.0.1\<shared folder>

Thank you. Unfortunately I have don't have either a hub or a switch. Is it best then to buy a crossover cable or a cheap switch? Can possibly a switch used to connect both PCs on the net? Unfortunately, little bearing on that. Have outlets in the wall. I don't even have router. I only have the desktop PC (no wireless cards), laptop with wireless (but without connecting to the network), and internet outlets in the wall. Is this the best option when buying crossover cable? If I have understood it correctly, I set up both computers with different IP address, 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 fx, and the same subnet, i.e. 255.255.255.0. And then set up a home network and share the directories I want to copy over. The last bit I'm not sure, but hope this is okay as long as I get hold of a crossover cable. It did not work with normal LAN cable. Unless I did something wrong.

It will probably go to disconnect the drive from the laptop to the desktop? Never done this myself, but looks to me that there is a regular 2.5" disk in your notebook. You are of course dependent on having an extra SATA cable, but you can borrow the DVD-ROM while copying. And yes, a switch can do it, but when you depend on to get two IP addresses of the network. Do you have a router, that router will have one IP of the network, while both computers will have their own local IP address of the router.

As long as there is SATA connectors on both PCs this is definitely a good solution if you're not afraid to turn. At the bottom of the laptop there is a space where hard drive sits. This is often marked by three overhead cylinder to represent (from the old days) the boards of a hard drive. This space is, in the PCs I've ever seen, sealed with two screws. Many laptops have a box where the hard drive is mounted in. This frame makes the standard SATA connectors (signal and power) to a proper connection. This frame must therefore be removed as to be able to plug it into your desktop PC. What you need then is an extra SATA cable and an additional outlet for SATA disk. If this is very scary you can always head to the data chain's offices to hear how much they want to show you how to remove the disk and put it back again and they will also have a SATA cable and, if necessary, a transition of power.

The easiest way is to buy a router, set up for dynamic IP from the internet, plug a cable in wall and into the WAN port on the router. Connect your desktop computer in one of those other ports on routers and you should have your laptop, you can alternatively connect to wireless if you want it. This is something that should try being straight. Have yourself tested to connect a router to another router at home, and usually this has gone just fine, except with a d-link router which strangely enough did not get any network (but functions fine when it was connected straight into the modem).

Possible it's okay to have a router, then I can set up wireless here too - if it works out. But a router costs more than $750-1500, and it was a good deal more than I had intended just to copy over some files. This is the reason why I was wondering if there was an easier and cheaper method of doing this. If it does not? Isn't that particularly good to open up the brand new laptop and remove the hard disk?. Things can go wrong in such operations, and I'd rather not risk anything with a brand new PC, which I can not afford that something happens. So its pretty amazing but not easier to do this here. There is nothing unusual scenario that I would believe.

jomon_johnson Guest

Hey,
    Please don't waste money buying a hub or a switch.A crossover cable is the best method.Ones u connect the computers, 7 will detect the network, but it will display unknown network or something. Now ones the network is detected ( may be after 5 or 6 mins), go to network and sharing center and make it the home group. Check the settings and comfigure. The configuration just requires common computer knowledge and u not need to be a pro in tht. Check the ip and ping it to see the connection has established . Have fun!
    Regards