Thread: File Sharing between Mac OS X and Windows PC

File Sharing between Mac OS X and Windows PC

I am having a Macbook and one Windows XP laptop and these both are connected to the same router. Now there are some files which needs to be share between these two laptop. Can anybody tell me that how can I share the files between the mabook and Windows XP laptop? Is there anybody who is sharing the files between mac and windows?

Re: File Sharing between Mac OS X and Windows PC

After searching a bit on the google about sharing the files between the mac os x and windows pc, I have found that the you can do this thing after enabling the guest account for which you have to go to the config panel> user accounts> enable the guest account. So I think you should now try resolving this problem by enabling the guest user account which might let you share the file between macbook and windows pc.

Even i was having this kind of problem when I was using my brother's macbook to share some things with my windows xp machine. For those looking to have same problem, I found a solution which I hope you find it useful. What you need to do is just disable the firewall on my mac and then share the drive partition on my Windows PC that I wanted to have access and now I could access my pc.

If this is the PC that is connected to the Internet, this PC must have Internet Sharing enabled. I know nothing about PCs and I therefore leave the task of responding to others. If this is the Mac that is connected to the Internet, you must enable sharing on the Mac. Please note that if the modem is a USB modem, it is harder for the Mac to be the one that is connected to the Internet if you have no Mac driver for the modem. By cons, a modem with Ethernet port, it just happens on a Mac.

The name of SMB workgroup Mac OS X by default is "WORKGROUP". If you've performed a custom installation of Mac OS X and you have deselected the BSD Subsystem, it may be that you can not change the name of your workgroup, which may stop you from sharing files. You should not experience this problem if you have performed a standard installation. If necessary, reinstall Mac OS X 10.2 by selecting the BSD subsystem. If you share files between a Mac and a PC, make sure your workgroup names are exactly the same on both computers.
    • Enabling Windows file sharing

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    2. From the View menu, choose Sharing. The Name field Bonjour (formerly Rendezvous) will be used for the hostname SMB Mac OS X. This is the name that appears in the Windows Network Neighborhood.
    3. For versions 10.2 and 10.2.1 only: If a reverse DNS lookup entry exists for your computer, the DNS name will be used instead of the one entered here.
    4. Select the Windows Sharing checkbox (in the Service column). Preferences Network show "Windows Sharing On".
    5. For version 10.4 only: as indicated by the yellow prompts, you must click the Enable Accounts button and complete the dialog box that appears.
    6. If the service does Windows file sharing is not active, verify the reliability of the network connection.

So you want to share files between your Mac and your PC then it requires that you activate the Windows Sharing on the Mac: System Preferences ---> Sharing ---> Windows Sharing. Then go to the Finder ---> Application ---> Utilities ---> Directory Access, click SMB / CIFS then Configure, in the "Working Group" among them the same as Windows. Windows to show your working group, made a right click on My Computer, then Properties, Computer Name, Change. That's all, it's more than possible that it does not work the first few seconds, it will probably take several minutes. To see your Mac in Windows, you go in the My Network.