Thread: Forgot password of Linksys 2.4 wireless G router

Forgot password of Linksys 2.4 wireless G router

I have a Linksys 2.4 GHz wireless G technology router in my home. I have bought this router last year and installed it on my home network. During the installation of the router I have set some password and everything went ok. I had been using this router and hence the setup until now without any problem until today when I tried to access the router from Firefox, I am unable to access the router's page. I think I have forgotten the password of the router. I wanted to access the router because I have recently changed my ISP and so I want to make the changes in the configuration. How can I retrieve my forgotten password? Or if possible is there any tool, preferably from Linksys, to recover this password?

Re: Forgot password of Linksys 2.4 wireless G router

Are you sure you have changed your default password? Did you just changed the password or you have also changed the user name? What ever may be the case, since you want to reconfigure it you can even reset your router to its defaults instead of fiddling around to retrieve the forgotten password. To reset your router, press and hold the reset button situated on the back of the router for about 30 seconds. This will reset your router and configure it to its factory defaults settings. Now you can access your router by leaving blank for user ID and using “admin” as the password.

I think the previous person has done some mistake and so I would like to suggest some minor details about Linksys router. First of all, the default username and password of Linksys router is admin and blank respectively, and not what he has given. The username and password that he has given is of Linksys Access Point and not the router. And just for your information, if you don't know (or if you didn't remember) how to setup Linksys router then here it is. Go to your web browser, type "http://192.168.1.1" and press Enter. Log in to your router with the default user name and password. Enable WEP or WPA encryption as per your need. You can even disable the SSID broadcast if you don't want others to know about your router. You will still be able to use your router through wireless connection but only those computer will come to know about your wireless router which you have configured.

There is no tool available from Linksys which can recover your router password. You can simply reset your router to access the router as you have done on the first day. There is a small hole on the back panel of the router. It has a red (or similar) color button. This is called as the reset button which brings your router to its manufacturer's default settings. To press this button you can use a paper clip or pencil/pen. Press the button from few seconds to one minute. You can then access the router with the default settings which you can find on your user guide or manual that came with the router.

Do you have the configuration file of the router? Some routers allow you to save the router's configuration into a file, and then restore it from this file as and when needed. If you have this file then there is a tool which can help you to restore/retrieve the username and password of the router. The name of the tool is RouterPassView. RouterPassView allows you to recover your lost password from your router's file.