Thread: Ethernet Switch vs Router

Ethernet Switch vs Router

I have just set up a wired DSL connection at my home and then I am looking forward to split up the 1st ethernet wall jack so that I can use it for the 2 computers and XBox 360. I am wondering that should I use an ethernet switch or a router for doing this. Can you guys help me to know that which would be better between the Router and Ethernet Switch?

Re: Ethernet Switch vs Router

The main difference between a router and a switch is that it does not work on the same layer of the OSI model. A router is a device level 3 which works with IP address and a switch is a device level 2 which works with mac address. What is the model of your broadband modem? Is there a router function (such as a freebox)? Because if you have two computers and a network printer, you will have a topology such that: Internet>>>> Router>> Switch>>> PC1, PC2, Printer. You should not be able to switch to if your router has 4 port RJ45. But the following topology will not work:
    Internet>>> Switch>>> PC1, PC2, Printer

Router as its name suggests that is a 'route a signal between multiple networks for example the 'box' internet are all router and it can connect a PC and then to receive from each other by wifi to connect these computers are in a network with the network of Wireless Internet. A switch is used to establish connections between PCs, but not between multiple networks.

In addition, routers can partially mask the internal network computers by only taking back to the outside of a single device. For this it uses the NAT (Network Address Translation). This mechanism uses an internal memory table that stores the starting address (the computer) and the destination address (typically the address of a website). The site reviews the results of the research to an external address of the router. The NTA will retransmit data to the real destination. PAT (Port Address Translation) allows redirection level data ports UDP and TCP / IP.

In the chapter on the various Ethernet standards, we know that:
    1. Connect to one another 2 switches (switch) used a crossover cable or use a crossover port equipment (some models include a small button switch on a specific port). The switch will automatically detect the current cross (MDI / MDIX).
    2. In Ethernet 10 Base T, more than four hubs cascaded pose a problem with connection speeds.
    3. In Ethernet 100 Base T, plus two HUBS cascade also cause errors in the data stream, the frames overlap, exceeding the size of the MTU.
    4. Maximum distances to be observed are 100 meters maximum copper. Again, the frames can overlap if exceeded.
    5. Wiring must be strict: connector, proximity cable from the mains.

The router allows the use of several classes of IP addresses within the same network. It allows the creation of sub-networks. It is used in larger installations, where it is needed (especially for reasons of safety and simplicity) to form several sub-networks. When the Internet arrived RJ45 cable (network upstream, for example), it is necessary to use a router to connect a sub-network (LAN, DSL) Internet, because these two classes of connections use different (it is still possible, but highly recommended to use a class A or B for a local network, these correspond to classes internet). The router is the equivalent of a computer managing multiple network connections (the old routers were also computers). NAT routers are compatible, allowing them to use networks more or less widespread, with large quantities of machinery and create 'proper' sub-networks. They also act as a firewall (firewall) to protect the installation.