Thread: Avg firewall says ndis driver not found

Avg firewall says ndis driver not found

I am running Windows Vista 64 bit on my Dell computer. On this computer, I have recently installed AVG software on this computer. Everything went perfectly fine but I get the message from my firewall which says "ndis driver not found". I tried updating it but still have the same message reappearing. I then thought may be it is because of my trial version I am getting this problem. I tried to contact the person from whom I purchased this software but he says he don't know how to solve this problem. What else can be done?

Re: Avg firewall says ndis driver not found

I think you have some features disabled in your AVG firewall. This can even occur if you have chosen to disable something important. And honestly speaking I have never seen such a problem or an error message from a firewall. It may be occurring due to Web Shield. I do not suggest to use it if you have noticed any such problems. So to solve this problem I would recommend to reinstall AVG once again and perform some custom installation to avoid Web Shield getting installed once again.

So in that case I will try uninstalling my anti-virus and then reinstalling it once again to make sure what you have said is correct. But before reinstalling the software, I want to ask you about my computer security. Is this the right application that I have chosen for my computer security? Do you think I should switch to some other application? If you also think so then which would be the best alternative for me to go for?

I had experienced the same problem on my computer once a while. Nothing had solved my problem. I have even tried to reinstall the software but it didn't helped anyway. At last I solved the problem by going to Start - Run - ncpa.cpl. Now right click on LAN and click on Properties. Now click on Install button and then select Service. Now select AVG firewall driver. That's it and my problem was resolved. You can also try the same thing to ensure if that helps you.

One year later, the problem is still there - even with the 2012 upgrade. I also did try calling AVG but never got an answer. I trust the software and I want to keep using it so I spent most of the day looking to fix the "NDIS driver not found" error. In short, I uninstalled the software, custom re-installed it without the AVG toolbar. There's no problem with the firewall now.

Ok that means the problem is fixed by custom installation and removing the toolbar of AVG??

Was that the fix for your problem?

When I upgraded to the 2012 version, I still had the 'NDIS driver not found' error message. I uninstalled the program, restarted my computer, and custom re-installed it. The only thing I unchecked in the first page was the additional languages box. When I clicked 'next', another window came up about the AVG Security Toolbar. I unchecked the two boxes and continued. Once the program has been re-installed, you will have to update the malware protection (virus and spyware). Go to the Windows Security Center and update. Let me know if this works for you. Thanks.

Well Zachary reinstalling AVG 2012 does not help the situation I did this but still got the same error message

I think avgfwfd.inf file has been detected as network filter service instead of actual firewall service.
    You should uninstall AVG and get the latest version of AVG, install it on your computer. Make sure that you are restarting the computer reinstalling antivirus.

... and don't install the AVG Security Toolbar ... that's what I did. No more error messages about the firewall and it works just fine.